Beeping from attic

We recently moved into a used house and a few months ago noticed a high pitched beeping sound which seemed to originate from a particular location of the ceiling in the hallway. This beeping sound continued for several hours, until finally it started to gradually become quieter and quieter, until after an additional hour or two the sound faded away... as if a battery had been depleted.
We haven't yet entered the attic, as the barely human-sized access hole in our closet isn't very inviting.
Can anyone offer any theories as to what the source of sound could have been? ...how about advice on climbing into the attic?
Please copy your response to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com if possible.
Thank you!
Chris
smoke detectors do that

Either a smoke detector batty that needs replacing. or a Roadrunner (beep beep) dying a slow death.
Access is often through a trap door in the top of a closet. Careful where you stand if the floor is not finished so you don't go through.
if your a homeowner suck it up and take a look, not only may it be nice storage space but things other than beeping may be occuring:( roof leaks etc...
who knows maybe a previous resident left gold bars up there?
cant hurt to take a look? and dream

Let's be realistic. Only thing I ever found in the attic was a big box of 20 and 50 dollar bills. No gold at all.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Let's be even more realistic. Only thing I ever found in the attic was a puff of hot air in my face as i climb up during summer, and chills down my spline in winter. Nothing else.

Only thing that can get up into my attic is a small child maybe.
No way an adult would be able to get up there. :(
If I ever sell my house, they get whatever's up there sight unseen.
-T-
Tony wrote:

Chuckle. When I sold my grandparent's house, which we had been using as a rental after my grandmother passed away, I told the people I was showing it to that the stacks of Life magazines in ass end of shallow attic, and the chest freezer in basement (that I had damn near killed myself putting down there when my mother moved in to take care of grandmother in her final years) went with the place. As far as I know, both are still right where I left them.
aem sends...

I know someone who bought a home and found 25 thousand buried in insulation during a later repair, after a roof leak.
the cash paid for a new roof, they didnt report it to the IRS since that would of made it taxable.
the previous owners family was all dead, so no one to inherit the money. their purchase money went to pay taxes and to the state since the previous owner left no will.
so start looking you never know!
Sounds like an old battery powered fire alarm signaling that it needs a new battery
--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven\'s Current Weather
barbarow wrote:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Winter+Haven+33881
Yep, I had a beep that drove me nuts trying to find it in the basement. Wife finally found it buried in a trash can. A smoke alarm I had replaced and thrown away a year before without puilling the battery.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

You don't empty your trash very often, do you?

perhaps not that one. I have one in the garage that i've emptied twice in about 8 years. I just don't use it much.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Chris wrote:

Chris wrote:

Seriously, I think you will get more enjoyment out of the wild speculation of what produced the beeping noise, than you would from actually knowing. I think you should leave it alone and hope it happens again.
Neil