Battery for Moisture Detector

Page 1 of 2
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?
Thanks.
Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.
in message I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?
Thanks.
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:08:16 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I'm guessing that if it leaks it is more toxic for plants than zinc-carbon or lithium batteries.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 04/04/2016 02:08 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that an alkaline battery has a much lower internal resistance and that might cause a problem for the electronics.
Just a guess.
On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.
On 4/4/2016 6:50 PM, Micky wrote:

I wonder if the writer of the instruction was having a bad day. Might been meant to write to use only alkaline battery?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You sure about that?? Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride and alkalines are generally the same.
On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf
I did find a chart (half way down on the right) comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline, I'd sure like to see it.
In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly consistently.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 4/4/2016 10:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

zinc chloride cells last longer than alkalines.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On this thread battery life was never mentioned. You just want to prove how big a prick you are. Stormin Moron.
On 4/5/2016 8:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thank you for displaying your true personality.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

answer the question, and be a prick instead. I call a spade a spade, and a moron a moron.
On 4/5/2016 10:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

for them selves.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I put him in my filter long ago. I only see his nonsense when someone else replies to it.
On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 20:14:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't remember for sure which one is shorter but in 9v, one is.
I can't use an alkaline battery in one of my voltmeters. I have to use a standard battery. Because it's shorter. So I guess it's the carbon zinc that is shorter.
(If it's not shorter is more narrow, but I'm sure it's shorter.)

Carbon voltage will be higher, but it makes little sense.
Greg
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:00:13 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

Buy "heavy duty" zinc chloride batteries - they are a lot cheaper anyway.
On 04/04/2016 02:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Maybe it's because alkaline batteries leak and destroy?