Basement spiders

Page 1 of 2

Why do spiders make webs in my basement. There are no flies down there.
Eternal optomists.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Do you think that spiders only eat flies?
Stolen without permission from:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/spiders.htm
What do spiders eat?
All spiders are predators. They do not eat plants, but only other living animals. Insects, spiders, invertebrates, some small vertebrates are the typical prey items.

Minor correction. One vegetarian species was recently found. Don't recall the details now but it lives on only one species of plant and IIRC in S America. The grouipd Talk.Origins reported on it but I have no idea what search terms would be needed to search for it.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Google "vegetarian spider"?
TDD
Basement spiders are very evil. Not like their cousins, the Bathroom spider.
A bathroom spider on the miror has eight arms and legs to come hair, brush teeth, and apply eyeliner. Bathroom spiders are highly prized as employees in hair salons.
Just stay the heck away from pickpocket spiders in train stations.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/10/091012-vegetarian-spider.html

Wow... they must be very patient! What do they do, spin a web then wait for a plant to grow into it?
;^)
Eric

Late night:
She: EEK! a spider. Me: Don't scream dear, he's just looking for a carrot.
Harry K
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Maybe there are no flies because the spider has taken care of them all.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:25:21 -0500, Van Chocstraw
If you live in Berkeley or SF the spiders turned Vegan and only make the webs, because of learned behavior.
Oren wrote:

Yea, they show up at the community food bank and beg for turnips.
TDD
Oren wrote:

Some Vegans eat eggs because they support a woman's right to choose.

Spiders just sit there conserving energy. A rare bug now and then will keep at least some of them alive enough to make babies and continue the cycle. And there are no birds or bats in the basement that eat spiders.

Look under the web to see what kind of bugs are on the floor. I used to have alot of spiders in the basement until I sealed the holes up, now the spider just eat some type of beatle, but only one is left out of hundreds I had before.

I do an annual 'feed the bugs' using those bug bombs. Oddly they don't seem to care for the taste.
Harry K
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:25:21 -0500, Van Chocstraw

To catch other spiders and creepy crawlers.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

You mean they don't practice tolerance and celebrate diversity?
Jon
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Cannibal spiders.