Spiders

Is there anything I can put on surfaces that will deter spiders from making their webs there? I was thinking along the lines of Nipon ant spray, but unlike ants, I do not want to kill the spiders.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Cleaning that area at least once a week will deter spiders from spining again. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On a vaguely related subject, I was bitten by a spider for the first time last weekend - I was sat at a garden table, and the little barsteward came up from between the slats that formed the top of the table and chomped on my elbow...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Funilly enough... I have a childhood memory of being venomised by a big garden spider. It crawled onto the top of my thumb and stuck it's fangs into the top and proceeded to try and paralyze me!

I remember a very slight numbing, but that was about it, though the vision of it's fangs(?) and it's pumping body remain quite detailed (when somone brings the subject up)

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Insects hate strong smells, thats all I can think of. I just throw them outside. (Yes, spiders can fly.)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

|Dave wrote: | |> Is there anything I can put on surfaces that will deter spiders from |> making their webs there? |> I was thinking along the lines of Nipon ant spray, but unlike ants, I do |> not want to kill the spiders. |>

|> TIA |>

|> Dave | |Insects hate strong smells, thats all I can think of. I just throw them |outside. (Yes, spiders can fly.)

Spiders, without wings can not fly. Their terminal velocity is so low that they land without damage. Not sure about Bird Eating Spiders and such monsters.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

What makes you think that ants want to kill the spiders ???

woodglass :-)

Reply to
woodglass

I once had a red kneed tarantula on the palm of my hand and it just felt like I was holding a pet mouse with cold feet.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nice one :-) I must proof read my posts a bit more.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They use air currents to deliberately take off. Theyre not flapping any wings but theyre still flying.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 31 Aug 2006 16:40:11 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

And when they land do they immediately start running back towards the building? The ones around here seem to have some sort of homing instinct.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

One of these days I'm going to put a blob of Tip-Ex on the back of the sodding great spider that inhabits our kitchen. I swear it's the same one that comes back every time I eject him.

Reply to
Guy King

That brings an answer to mind...

I'll spray the areas with a low tack glue spray and see how things go :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have been repeatedly warned about the spiders that live in the privet hedges that bite but have yet to see it for myself.

to have appeared this year at a huge size - one was so big it seriously gave me the creeps.

of pics there.

Reply to
mogga

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ... writes

Not to mention door locks and GPO junction boxes.

Reply to
News

And the hollow bits of plastic clothes pegs.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Or in our gardener's cap, so that we can all watch as it drops gently down from the cap's bill while we're standing at the bar having a pint?

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

...In front of the lens on difficult to get at CCTV cameras?

Reply to
Nick

Ha! I used to have running battles with these scary monsters in my garage. Last spring I blasted every corner with a can of insect killer from a Pound Shop. I can't remember seeing a spider since. Not that I'm scared of them or anything like that ...

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

This was before ubiquitous CCTV. Somewhere there is a photo, though.But I did have spiders building their Webs on CCTV later.

Reply to
Davey