When I was a youngster we lived in a 2 story house. Heat was a cookstove in
the kitchen. Used wood and coal. To get heat to upstairs bedrooms there were
holes in ceiling with metal grates to allow rising heat to warm upstairs. A
fan like this sure would have helped. We did have electric power.WW
It would probably shut off if fire hit it, I'm sure there is a thermal
fuse in the motor. I've installed then in convince store cash register
booths to ventilate them when the bullet resistant glass windows are
on 11/17/2009 9:14 PM (ET) Jules wrote the following:
I think he means to install it in a home, not in a ship with watertight
compartments and hatches.
It would probably be set in the wall near the ceiling. If floodwaters
get that high, the house is already toast, or in this case, soup.
I certainly should have made my question more specific.
I've heard that laundry chutes (throw clothes down from second floor
into a basket in the basement) are now illegal in many states because
they create a draft for a fire. From that standpoint, this seems like a
1. These are for same-floor through-wall use, not between floors. You
could get some chimney effect, but it would not be as pronounced. Most
residential doors don't seal that well anyway, and often are left open,
even at night. (Yeah, I remember fire safety from grade school, but I'd
rather avoid the stubbed toes and smashed nose when getting up at night.
Don't dare turn on a light, or my brain starts the reboot sequence, and
I am done sleeping for the night.)
2. Code in many areas, and wise designers in other areas, have long
specified that laundry chutes have spring loaded, or unbalanced 'fail
closed' lids on top and/or bottom, to avoid chimney effect. Chutes are
not illegal (anywhere I know of), they just aren't very popular any
more, since people that can afford a custom home prefer a main-floor or
bedroom-floor laundry setup. Chutes and small kids are not a good
combination, especially if there are small pets in the house. Attractive
3. Old houses with coal furnaces often had a big-ass grate in the middle
of house to allow heat to rise, and old public buildings often had open
stairwells. In many cases, when furnace got updated, the grate got
plugged, or modified so it didn't actually pass through the floor layer.
(Close ceiling below, and box in duct to make a low-pressure heat outlet
or something.) In buildings, even if stairwell is still open on lowest
public floor, all floors above now have stairs walled in with fire
doors. They want stairwells to be positive pressure now, to keep smoke out.
Those were in the days of what was called "Balloon Construction". Most
houses today aren't built that way. Today the floors sit atop the
outside walls which inherently provide a Fire stop. In Balloon
Construction, the floors rested on boards that were nailed to the
inside of the exterior walls.
For anybody that wouldeb concerned about the chimney effect, just put
a 2x4 above and below the fan. That would stop any chimney effect that
would be produced in the event of fire.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.