Awnings

Hi,
I am new to this group, and I was wondering if anyone could give some advise about canvas awnings.
It is approaching summer and my house gets very hot and I was thinking about having awnings installed on my windows. My house is fibreglass with cladding on top of it so the awnings will have to be installed on the window frames.
My question is, are awnings effective at reducing the heat? Or am I wasting my money?
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sharon.
Thanks John,
Sharon.