Automatic fire sprinklers

Page 6 of 6

Which of course freeze even if they aren't sprinklers. Given the placement of the pipes in the inner parts of the house, they are probably less likely to freeze than regular pipes that run up the outside walls.
✖

Wrong. It's yet another pipe to burst in the absolute *worst* place. Only a fool runs pipes in outside walls, or ceilings.
Add pictures here
✖
and again, the point is not that sprinklers are "good" or "bad", they may be helpful in some situations and harmful in others...
the point is ,,, is it correct for the gov't to MANDATE them...
Do we want a "nanny state"?
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 12, 9:01 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Well Stormy let's make it a little closer to home for you. I vote no on nanny hvac suppliers. If I want to buy a hvac system they shouldn't refuse to sell me one just because I'm a homeowner.
Add pictures here
✖
jamesgangnc wrote:

It's not the government that's refusing to sell to you... it's a private company.
And you being a homeowner may not be the reason they're refusing.
Add pictures here
✖
Mark wrote:

In many (most???) respects we already do... :(
✖

Yup... It is usually only one sprinkler head in the immediate area of the fire that discharges...
The water damage part is a factor of knowing how your system operates, keeping the valves accessible and knowing how to operate them after the fire has been extinguished...
"Deluge" type systems where every sprinkler head activates are rare these days, leftover relics from the early days of fire protection in buildings whose systems have not been modernized OR are used in certain occupancy types like theater stages where if there is a fire it is better to douse everything with water than allow it to spread amongst the very flammable curtains and sets and backdrops...
I think that too many people on here are not at all familiar with how modern sprinkler systems work, or the various ways such systems can be designed to be all but invisible with recessed sprinkler heads... Those who worry about freezing water in the piping seem to be unaware that it is possible to have sprinkler systems with dry standpipes where the water is held back by air pressure and a valve until a sprinkler head activates and releases the pressure...
A sprinkler system that is properly designed will have a water flow sensor which will trigger an alarm... Much more damage is done by broken hoses on washing machines and failed hot water heaters which don't alert you with an alarm when they fail...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖

Most insurance companies give discounts for residential sprinklers.

soaking up the heat, which is what they do to break the fire triangle (or more recently the fire tetrahedron..) . Even the regular hoses off the trucks use mist.
✖

I'm thinking most fires start and there is nobody around. if one installs a sprinkler, that activating, should also call response company.
The politicians said they are considering the high estimate cost to possibly modify the requirements.
Fire company takes 5 minutes to get there ? How long does it then take to hook up after they get there. ??
I think better fire codes on insulation and drywall requirements might be better.
I need to install a wood stove and get approval. I wonder if the borough can do that ?? I don't want to get it professionally installed. I have an existing chimney.
Add pictures here
✖
I've been in one industrial fire where the sprinklers went off.
I was supervising a maintenance crew doing a repair. A welding torch threw a spark and started some dust going. The fire watch hit it immediately with the small hose but that seemed to make it worse. I was standing about 20 feet back, and the main fire hose was 20 feet behind me.
I turned and ran for the fire hose, and the fire went past me on the way. Holy Crap! I dropped the fire hose and booked for the exit. About then the sprinklers activated. It got dark and foggy and I whacked my shin really good on a piece of equipment.
Anyway, the sprinklers saved the plant and 144 jobs, in a rural Southern town where there were no other jobs and never would be. We had some water damage and we chased shorts in the machinery for about a year, but we were running, filling orders, and paying wages.
That made me a believer. I'm not 100% sure I would have made it out at all if the sprinklers hadn't held the fire back.
Add pictures here
✖