Attaching undermount sink to Silestone

I got a new sink, and will be getting a Silestone vanity top. The sink (an undermount) comes with a mounting kit for drilling and mounting in a

1" minimum thickness top. The Silestone top is 3/4" thick.

I am reluctant to sink an anchor 5/8" into a 3/4" top. Anyone know another way to undermount the sink?

BC

Reply to
BCDrums

I'd always been under the imperssion the folks that installed your countertops would do that for you.

Reply to
3rd eye

Not in this case. I have ordered the countertop online for half the price quoted by local installers. So, I am the installer.

This is a standard-size top for a standard-size vanity cabinet, standing against an open wall in a bathroom- no precision fit, not side splashes. The local fabricator insisted on sending someone to measure it, and then to install the top onto the cabinet, which is not a difficult task.

Since I posted, I found a kit supplied by the countertop vendor. Basically, you epoxy some anchor plates with bolts to the underside of the Silestone, and then screw clips and wingnuts onto them. They tell me they use an epoxy formulated for bonding metal and stone.

We'll see!

BC

Reply to
BCDrums

We had an undermount SS sink installed with our Silestone countertop. The sink itself was sandwiched between the 3/4" ply substrate and the actual countertop itself....

]]]]]]]]]]]]] - Countertop

------------- - Sink [[[[[[[[[[[[[ - Ply underlayment

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1144260439.135769.247310 @t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

When we had our granite top installed, they glued it with epoxy. I would guess the same epoxy would be used for silestone.

Reply to
GoHabsGo

I am glad to hear that it worked (it DID work, didn't it?) Do you know how many clips they used to secure the sink?

BC

Reply to
BCDrums

BCDrums wrote in

No clips were used. Epoxy on the sink and a whole whack of epoxy on small pieces of plywood overlapping the edges of the sink where it would fit within the confines of the cabinet. It is still holding after three months.

Reply to
GoHabsGo