Are they making glass thiner or am I crazy?

I buy glass every now and then to build missing storm sashes in my old house (ever continuing fix up projects), picture framing or other projects. I have noticed what they call "single strength" has gotten a sliver thinner. Not as thin as the small photoframe stuff though. It is not that hard to see the difference if you bring to pieces together. I'm sure I'm not comparing it with double strength because DS is quit noticably thicker and heavier. Seems like the makers are skimming to lower materials cost.

Reply to
Fuzzfactor

Sounds like there taking lessons from the plywood manufacturers. I can actually remember when 1/2" ply was sanded and was still 1/2", now I can hardly tell the difference between 3/8" and 1/4" ply.

On the glass issue, I haven't done enough to know the how thick it should be. I just assumed that glass went by the actual measured thickness.

I was installing the glassed light in a cheap alum combination storm/screen door and notice that the glass was very thin..

(How thin was it?? It was so thin it only had one side! ;o)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Check here:

the chart near the bottom. If the thickness is outside the tolerances shown, they are not selling you "single strength" glass. John

Reply to
jriegle

Why of course.......

Thats the latest trend in America. Pay more - get less.... Everything is getting smaller and thinner, except the big fat republicans in Washington. Have you noticed how thin your wallet has gotten since they took over the Whitehouse?

Heck, I used to buy a gallon of bleach for $1.00 They dont sell it in gallons anymore. It's 3/4 gallon bottles now, and they cost $1.50.

There are only 4 things getting larger in America these days. Republican bellies Republican lies The national debt The American death toll in Iraq

Reply to
someone

Why of course.......

Thats the latest trend in America. Pay more - get less.... Everything is getting smaller and thinner, except the big fat Democrats in Washington. Have you noticed how thin your wallet has gotten since they took over the Whitehouse in 1992? Remember the 1993 tax increase?

And then he went on TV and hinted that he mighta raised your taxes too much.... musta been distracted by Miss Lewinsky under the desk?

There are only 4 things getting larger in America these days. Democratic Budgets Democratic Lies The national debt The American death toll in Iraq because the last administration didn't move decisively

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Hey!! A kindred soul! Make America better, turn a Democrat out of office.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson