Are concealed hinges strong enough for wood fence gates?

I have a wood fence built in December and is now badly warped. In close examination the two posts to which the gates attached to are plumb, however, one of them is out of alignment (shifted by about 1.5") in relation to the other posts on that side.

Fence is 6' tall, the gate opening is 10', so there are two gates each 5' wide. Post on the left is OK, post on the right is inward 1.5".

I would like to avoid redoing the post since it is seated in a large concrete footing that is connected to an adjacent post (I did that to avoid any possibility of the gate sagging and pulling the post out of plumb.

The hinges I am using now are the ones like this:

This require the gate and the front of the fence posts to be flushed with each other. I think if I can mount the gates such that it is shofted inward for 1.5" then I should be OK.

That would require concealed hinges like this:

to be mounted on the inside surfaces. However I am not sure I don't think these hinges can take that kind of weight. But may be there are some made for this purposes, or there may be gate hinges that allows an offset adjustment?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I have seen big gates with a wheel on the moving end which gives support. Perhaps that would be a way.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Is the "one" post out by 1.5" at the top and bottom of the 6' post?

If so, I might nail a 2X4 on the outward side. It would fatten that "one" post and bring the post closer to alignment. Then reset the gate hinges over a bit.

If not 1.5" at the top and bottom, scribe some lumber and nail it on to fatten the post.

No?

Reply to
Oren

Should work. Those type of hinges come in various sizes. Some are quite large and heavy duty. You could use as many as you needed as well. 3 or 4 hinges should be enough.

Reply to
Pat

It is not the outside of the gates that are sagging downward. The problem is the two posts are plumb but one of the posts are out of alignment with the rest of the posts for that fence.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse