concealed hinges for trapdoor

Hi,

I'm putting some networking connections and stuff under a trap in the floor. I want it to be easy to open up for maintenance, but without any bits of hinge sticking up (trip hazard, unsightly), so I'd like to pull up parallel sections of three floorboards, screw two of them together from the underside to make the door, put some kind of concealed hinges between that and the third board, and screw the third board back down.

So the big question is: do hinges exist that can be screwed to the boards' undersides so they are at 180 degrees when the door is closed but will open even wider (ideally 270 degrees) to open the trapdoor?

(The usual kind of concealed hinges for kitchen cupboards sit at 90 closed and 180 open.)

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
Chico

Does it need to be hinged rather than just unscrewed and lifted out?

Reply to
Robin

What about the ones for corner cupboards?

pack-of-2/10084

Reply to
Bob Eager

You could fit "wide opening" kitchen hinges on a block at 90 degrees to the trap. But personally I think I would just make it lift out. With maybe rare earth magnets to make it fit snuggly if necessary.

Reply to
newshound

I don't know, but why not use trapdoor hinges that finish flush with the floor surface, as used on bar counter flaps etc?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And I'd not want to trust those if you trod on the door either!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:m5p6bl$gld$1@dont- email.me:

Agreed - look at the size of the hinge pins. Not meant to take nuch load. Go with the bar flap hinges.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Whatever the hinges, surely the door will be supported all round when closed? No way would you have a trapdoor in the floor that wasn't.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

(kitchen hinges)

On the other hand, one could have a supporting transverse batten under that end, as the nature of such hinges is such that the 'door' moves away with the action.

Reply to
Bob Eager