any opinon on empire carpet?

Page 1 of 2
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound padding...4 rooms.
any opinons?
On 3/10/2011 7:27 PM, bpuharic wrote:

Like most home improvement companies (carpet, siding, windows, etc) that rely heavily on advertising, flyers, and cold calls, they are primarily in the business of lending money. The actual product is just to get you into the tent. Expect a high-pressure pitch or assumption that you will be making monthly payments.
Not saying they might not have a good price, but I would definitely get bids from local independents as well.
--
aem sends...

I just don't trust people that market they way they do. I'd rather deal with a local outfit and local installer.
I'm getting rid of carpet in my house, room by room and going to engineered hardwood. Cleaner, healthier.

Oh, come on! Doesn't everyone buy carpet based on a phone number? 588-2300!
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:36:03 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

yeah cancelled after looking at what lowe's was offering. better carpet at cheaper price...just have to wait for installer to give me install price

I had them out to give a bid, I got a local Carpet and Floor guy to use the same product for 1/3 of their rip off price, so they lie. They are not a good deal.
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:59:35 -0800 (PST), ransley

lowe's good stock carpet was heavier and lower cost with better pad than empire's so i cancelled today

Those tv adds are not free
bpuharic wrote:

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate debris and odors, and looks better to most people.
If you have to have something fuzzy on your feet in the mornings, furry slippers with rabbit ears can be had for less than ten bucks.
On 3/10/2011 11:08 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Laminate sucks. If this is a pre-1975 house, there is a good chance there is hardwood under there. Usually it can be cleaned up and or refinished. If this is a newer house with particle board or something down there, at least go for a laminate with a real wood top layer. That printed woodgrain is SO tacky.
All IMHO, of course. YMMV.
--
aem sends...

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 3/10/2011 11:08 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Laminate sucks. If this is a pre-1975 house, there is a good chance there is hardwood under there. Usually it can be cleaned up and or refinished. If this is a newer house with particle board or something down there, at least go for a laminate with a real wood top layer. That printed woodgrain is SO tacky.
All IMHO, of course. YMMV.
-------------------------------------
Laminate floors look so cheap and awful and something I;d expect in trailer parks. HOWEVER, if you have kids that play indoors a lot, laminates are actually pretty good for a playroom. they are warm, maintence free and in 12 years when the kids become teenagers, you can tear your cheap ass laminates outta there and put in real floors.
For the record I installed 3 mil oak, engineered hardwood flooring for $1.99 myself this past summer with a 2 mil underlay. Yup floating hardwood floors. Easy as pie. And able to be sanded at least once if not twice.

Sounds about like the deal I got with bamboo flooring. Goes down as easy as that cheap laminate stuff.
Jimmie
Sounds about like the deal I got with bamboo flooring. Goes down as easy as that cheap laminate stuff.
Jimmie
-------------
We came very very close to buying bamboo but the thing that stopped us was that two heavy big dogs with their claws may dig into it too much. Just felt that oak was harder to ding and easier to refinish.
aemeijers wrote:

Of course, but I was touting laminate as an alternative to carpeting. Of course if the owner is thinking of springing for $3500, he could get his hardwood floors refinished or lay down real-wood laminate as you suggest. If he only wants to spend, say, $400, then the laminate I recommended is the best choice.

got that in the kitchen and it works well but want carpet for living and bedrooms

got 2 poodles, too...they do well

But carpet is better acoustically. If you have a room that is too live carpeting is the best way to quiet it down.
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Larry Weil wrote:

Right. You can carpet the walls.
Don't laugh, we did that to a computer room in a new building. Made the room almost bearable so we could swap stories about the carpet installers observations as they tried to install the stuff vertically.
And before you ask, it was a lovely, pale-blue, shag.
As to your original proposition, you can "tune" the room with throw rugs.

That can be misleading. They will quote a lower price per yard and then find that you need more yards than other companies would say if you called them.
You need to know the price per yard, the number of yards, and the total.
(I don't know if any carptes have "grain" that would require more carpeting if the grain is to match and less if it doesn't.
And OP save your scraps for patches.

There is another term for it, but yes, there is a "grain" and it should all run the same way. A good carpet guy will know the best layout and may piece a hallway, for instance.

Aha. I can inagine a real cheapo place saving a yard or two by putting it down with these things not matching. And I can imagine some, esp. young customers not figuring out what the problem is for months or years.
Contract should say how many yards, and I guess specify that they nap, pile and pattern match. Do conracts from good companies say that?