Any microwave ovens available with pop sensors?

Page 1 of 2
My 8-10 year old Sharp microwave oven has died from a shorted HV capacitor. I'll probably fix it, if the part is still available.
If not, I'd like my next oven to "listen" to popcorn, and shut off after the popping rate slows to a threshold level. My current oven's popcorn mode always comes up about 40 seconds short.
Are there any current models with "ears"? -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
My 8-10 year old Sharp microwave oven has died from a shorted HV capacitor. I'll probably fix it, if the part is still available.
If not, I'd like my next oven to "listen" to popcorn, and shut off after the popping rate slows to a threshold level. My current oven's popcorn mode always comes up about 40 seconds short.
Are there any current models with "ears"?
===============================
You can't stand still in the kitchen for 3 minutes and listen with your own ears???

I was going to say the same thing. Not to put down the OP, but how lazy have we become? What's next? A remote that will come to you when you call it???
Hey.....wait a minute...........
;-]

Here's something I want: A way to start my oven using my cell phone, so I can put dinner into a preheated oven the moment I walk in the door.

Most ovens have timers that will do that, but I guess YOU have to be on a "regular timer" for it to work (in other words, you have to come home at the same time)...

Unfortunately, "regular time" does not exist in my home. I have a teenage son. :-) His favorite saying: "Dad, how many times do I have to tell you? Things aren't happening until they're happening. I can't plan like you do".

That's the point I was trying to make. Same at my house. We have a sit-down meal with the entire family maybe once a month. Could be at 5:30, could be at 8:30...

This never ceases to amaze me: My son and his core posse are all high-achievers, especially in match & science. Even with their ability to juggle numbers in a way I can only dimly remember from my youth, they cannot figure out that you can't go to Laser Quest, go to swim practice, do 2 hours' worth of homework, fold your laundry, go to the library AND......give dad time to make the dinner you begged for (BBQ chicken).....all in one hour, with me as the chauffeur.
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:58:13 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

I think you can get such a thing, but I forgot where.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Thanks, Mark. :-)

If you have an electric oven, I don't see why you couldn't get an X10 unit to handle this.

It's on the list to think about, after: 1) Paint back windows 2) Build pantry shelves 3) Wax the cat 4) Rip up kitchen floor, including the wood underneath, so I can insulate the crawl space under half the room. 5) Replace bathroom sink. 6) Spray paint vanity, hopefully achieving a piano finish 7) Remove wallpaper around shower because only lunatics have wallpaper in the shower. 8) Replace deadbolt in side door. 9) Install bars on basement windows 10) Fix dryer vent duct so it's more straight than convoluted. 11) Install fluorescent lights in basement so it doesn't look like Frankenstein's laboratory down there, with dark corners where who-knows-what might be living.
etc etc etc....
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:38:32 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Wax the cat?

She gets really dirty while she's out hunting dogs and other trash animals. I figured a coat of wax might help her shed dirt.
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:38:32 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

You might not think this is related, but:
Today I cleaned the holiday light stakes. These are 2.5-foot long pieces of 3/4-inch PVC pipe that have been in the ground. I use a hose nozzle to remove the dirt, which usually comes out in 5 or 6 inch long cylindrical pieces. It looks like someone used the yard for a toilet.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

That sounds like something I was looking for (x10 circuit breakers). They're probably expensive.
Another thing you might be able to get somewhere, is a combination refrigerator / oven. It keeps the food cold until you tell it to start cooking.
Of course, it still won't stir the dinner for you.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

X10 is the company that made themselves famous for the browser pop-up (and then pop-under) ad campaign. In my opinion, buying something from them is as bad as buying something from a spammer.
Just my opinion.
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:43:54 -0500, Dan Espen

X10 is also a standard protocol for powerline communications. It (and the company) were around long before the cameras (poor quality) and the pop-ups.
It probably IS a good idea to avoid x10 (the company). Many other companies (such as Leviton) make products using the X10 protocol.

Uh,. That you can easily get. post your request at comp.home.automation
AMUN
Doug Warner wrote:

Most of the ovens I have seen that have a popcorn auto-setting do it by sensing the amount of moisture in the oven. It guarantees that the popcorn doesn't burn, but it (as you say) grossly underestimates the cooking time leaving lots of unpopped kernels.
We just bought a new 1200 watt Sharp and I have yet to find a power setting and time combination that does a good bag of popcorn. I think the wattage might simply be too high and the lower power levels do nothing more than cycle full power off and on at different intervals. Our older Panasonic 1000 watter did a perfect bag of corn at 2:35 with almost no unpopped kernels. On the new one I have to choose between many unpopped kernels or burnt corn. I point this out because even with me standing there listening to the popping I still can't get good results. That means an oven that did its own listening (if such a thing exists) might not do any better if the power level is not correct.