Any experience with Mastershield (or others) gutter anticlogging device?

I just saw an ad for

gutter protection. Does anyone have any experience with these. I am getting tired of cleaning my gutters or suffering the consequences of not cleaning them.

Reply to
John W Gintell

Every independent test I have seen has followed the same pattern of results.

They all work to some extend. Each style works well with only certain kinds of trash and each also tends to make cleaning what it does not work with harder.

One may work well with pine needles and another work well with oak leaves.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I heard on one of those home improvement shows on the radio this weekend that gutter helmet was the best and worked for pine needles and leaves.....here is a link to their page...

luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

It also makes a fabulous and inviting habitat for yellow jackets and wasps!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

So do the eves and many other places around the home...there is no perfect solution....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Wasps and yellow jackets can be made into safe, efficient, economical and FUN housepets, if one has the patience.

Reply to
Matt

It's especially attractive to them. Far more than spots such as eves.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

i had the plastic ones a couple a years ago. went to clean the gutters in fall and got zapped a couple of times. threw them away. nest every where.

Reply to
jdk

Well, you can go without gutters, you can clean them or go with a covered system. Either way, there is still someone who will post that it is an imperfect system....to each his own....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

The original poster asked a question, to which I gave an honest and helpful answer that may help him with his decision. I pointed out a fact that is often overlooked, especially by those who are selling the systems.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from John W Gintell :

I highly recommend Steelco gutter screens. They are one of the best kept secrets in the no-clog gutter thingy industry. These screens are rigid and flat, not bowed like the cheapo units at the home improvement stores. They are steel, not aluminum, and they are wire mesh, not a flat mesh. They don't cover the gutter opening, so they are more efficient in heavy rains, and if the gutters every need cleaning, you can spray the water hose right through the mesh without having to remove the screens. Oh, and much they are much more reasonably priced than gutter helmet. Of course, you can decide for yourself, but here's the web site:

RC

Reply to
Ronald Carter

I tried those when I lived in the forest in California and had some level of success. That was until the large Sycamore leaves covered them and would not wash off. Then the rain would run right past the gutters. They did work well for pine needles..... Oh...expect to hear the Wasp story too....

Reply to
Ross Mac

I once had a wasp I named 'Sammy'. I taught him how to do some different tricks.... he would ride on the back of a cat while juggling colored rings (albeit very, very small rings) in the air.

Sammy died that summer though, when an errant book came fying through the air and landed on top of him.

I'm currently training a troupe of muddobbers to square dance with africanized honeybees. I have the dancing part worked out, but I've yet to have any sucess at getting them all to put on their square dance costumes.

Reply to
Matt

Maybe you could teach the fire ants to square dance the hell out of Florida!..There's a cottage industry....boots n' hats fer fare ants.....Just play some Hank Williams and they all head for the hills.....y'all take care, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac