ANSWERING MACHINE RINGS

Page 3 of 3
On 12/26/2015 09:09 AM, bob haller wrote:
[snip]

Trouble with customer service was one of the reasons I quit using DirecTV. They kept answering questions I didn't ask, while avoiding the ones I did ask. They finally solved my problem, although I suspect it (the solution) had nothing to do with me. I called again to say it was fixed, and then actually gave me a new problem (unwanted password reset).
Another time I was asked how many mushrooms my satellite dish had. I almost said I must have gotten a wrong number (I wanted satellite TV, not a mushroom farm).
BTW, I did think about the fact that mushrooms don't grow on clean, dry, well-lighted, metal surfaces.
OT: I was getting used to the countdown that used to be in my sig.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 12/26/2015 12:35 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Businesses don't think about things from the users' point of view. Nor do they think of things from *their* point of view!
I.e., if you had a human being reciting these choices to the caller, would THESE be the choices you would provide? Would you PAY THAT 'OPERATOR' to ask the same question more than once in a given call? (of course not! you'd expect her to take note of the answers she's received and adjust her future questions accordingly -- not discard each answer after acting on it EXACTLY ONCE!)
The attitude of vendors seems to be one of "you will pay for what you need/use". I.e., folks who don't need customer service never "pay the price" of dealing with an inefficient (customer's point of view) service interface.
It's a wonder that warranty repairs aren't *billed* to the users needing them; that the cost of warranty service is <somewhat> born across all customers, not just the ones who actually are victims of it!

The "mushrooms" (LNB) are the actual ACTIVE antenna elements on the dish. They *look* like mushrooms -- in an abstract sense!
The dish tries to "focus" the radio waves to a point -- where *an* antenna can be placed to send/receive signals. If you fudge the shape of the dish (instead of a paraboloid with a single focal point), you can position more than one antennae (mushroom) and then electronically select between them to effectively "point" the antenna assembly in a slightly different direction (best available signal, different satellite, etc).

Days *since*? Days 'till the Second Coming?
On 12/26/2015 04:00 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

Low Noise Block downconverter. However, I seen to have heard that these are really LNBF, since the feedhorn in integrated.

The problem is that I actually know what a satellite dish does, and that has nothing to do with fungi.
The other part of that problem was that the CSR insisted I needed 5 "mushrooms" instead of the 3 I actually needed. The installer (which they stupidly required even though I already had a working dish) got it right.
BTW, I do actually get big mushrooms in the yard sometimes, after rainfall.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 12/27/2015 11:14 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yes. Just a sloppy use of terminology (as is "mushroom")

See above. I suspect if they refered to them as LNB's most homeowners would say, "How do I figure out how many LNB's I have?" So, easier to refer to them more colloquially.

CSR works off a script. When ISP installed dish for our network link, "guy at the office" kept telling the installer to align to a different xmitter. The sight-lines ON HIS (CSR) MAP said it would be a much better option for our location.
What he *couldn't* see was the large tree blocking the ACTUAL sight-line that was blatantly obvious to the installer!

Not here. Too dry for things like that to get -- or *stay* -- established! (plus, no place for them to hide "in the dark")
On 12/21/2015 11:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

OP's *replacement* machine answered on 1.5 rings. Was it telepathic and "sensed" the messages waiting on the other, old/disconnected machine? Or, did he plug it in, wander away so someone could call and leave a message, *then* noticed that it was ALSO answering on the second ring?
[snip]

Junk callers can't have unlimited long distance :-)

An answering machine gives you real time monitoring, and you can pick up if it seems important.
Greg
On 12/25/2015 02:40 AM, gregz wrote:
[snip]

I had one call (probably junk) where the entire message was spoken during the OGM. All that was recorded was a quiet "mumble-click" at the end.
--
Currently: happy holidays (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).
"puzzlement" wrote in message </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>My answering machine was answering on four rings, all of a sudden = it has </DIV> <DIV>started answering on 1 and a half rings.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It is still set up to answer on four rings. I thought maybe my = machine had </DIV> <DIV>gone bad, so I bought another one. The same thing happens with the = new one. </DIV> <DIV>Can any one tell me how to correct rhis?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Thanks,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Puzzlement </DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=

I wonder if the pulse is somehow broken up. I used to have machine hooked up to listen to any response to my announced message. It's been off line, but most of my junk calls now have no response left on network center.
Greg