GE answering machines

I noticed my new GE 29871 answering machine lost some of it's settings on a recent power failure. I just assumed it had a battery backup, as most devices of this type do. After calling GE, I was told that newer versions of this machine have come out with a battery backup. What is strange is that these newer versions carry the exact same model number. That means that if you buy them in the store, there is no way of knowing if it includes the battery backup, or not. Seems like they are obligated to give this newer version a different number like a 29871-A, so that people can

identify the newer models. I also assume that it is clearly written on the box that it has a battery backup, but who knows.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

It should have a different model number, definitely.

Yours probably has either a) a capacitor backup that will keep the voltage high enough through power outages. That has the advantage that there is no battery that needs changing, but otoh, when the cap fails, it can't be so easily changed. OR b) bubble memory or some other kind that doesn't forget things even when no voltage is present. I doubt if it b, because a) it wouldn't have broken if it did, and b) surely they would give it a different model number if had digital bubble memory and the new ones need a battery. They must be very different. Whereas a batter versus a cap is only a 1 to 3 or so part difference.

I like tapes, but I've so far been unable to get a working version of the 1983 model that I want, so I've been buying old models at hamfests etc for between one and three dollars. One all digital machine hadn't been plugged in for two years that I had it, plus how ever long the previous guy didn't use it, and when I finally did, it played excellently all the old messages to the other guy. I guess that is bubble memory or something just as good.

You might be able to take yours apart and find and replace the capacitor. If you want to try, I'm sure I and people here will try to find pictures of memory capacitors. I think for VCRs, they were 3 dollars at the cheapest source.

Reply to
mm

What was your question?

Reply to
Meat Plow

buy a cheap UPS, uninterruptible power supply, for less than 30 bucks not only will your answering machine hold all settings during a power failure it will work normally during the power failure and never miss a call. answering machines use little power so a small cheap UPS is all you need.

Reply to
hallerb

It may keep the same model number but have a revision number. (i.e.

29871 Rev.1)

KC

Reply to
KC

UPS also by design protects against surges and voltage drop outs

Reply to
hallerb

Sure. I figure if either had a revision number, he would have mentioned it.

Reply to
mm