Americans come from all over the US to loot Okla. after tornadoes

Page 1 of 2
So this is your country of brotherly love, eh?
This is your true nature. This is the real face of america and americans.
Thieving from each other, especially in times of natural disaster, urban mining, even killing for no reason. That is - when you're not spying on each other.
By the way, how are your guns protecting your electronic privacy?
Your privacy is being stolen from you by your gov't, and your guns and your right to bear arms are doing exactly nothing to enforce those rights.
George Bush gave you a lasting legacy, didn't he?
So shut up, bend over, and be a nice little Patriot. Uncle Sam wants to know you better.
================== http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OKLAHOMA_TORNADO_LOOTERS
Jun 8, 7:08 PM EDT
Looters have come from afar to Okla. after tornado
MOORE, Okla. (AP) -- Authorities say looters have come from as far away as New York and Virginia to steal from victims of last month's tornado in Moore, Okla.
The Oklahoman reports (see link below) that police arrested one man from Elmhurst, N.Y., and two from Virginia on misdemeanor complaints of stealing copper wire, scrap metal and other items from homes destroyed by the May 20 tornado. Twenty-four people were killed.
Several Moore residents were also arrested on similar misdemeanor complaints.
Residents have filed theft reports for such items as a $50,000 watch, a $13,000 watch, a $2,000 fountain pen and a $1,300 hunting camera.
http://newsok.com/police-say-men-came-from-virginia-to-loot-in-tornado-ravaged-moore/article/3843116

Of course they don't loot in any other country, LOL ...

They don't even wait for a disaster before they start looting in the UK. Mostly blacks. We have too many immigrants here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh3YsDIGp60

On 06/09/2013 08:53 AM, Doug wrote:

But we're supposed to be better than that. Maybe we once really were.
--
Cheers, Bev
over the US to loot Okla. after tornadoes:

Well yes, of course from New York. What else would you expect?
On 6/9/13 10:34 AM, Lou Tere wrote:

C'mon now. Isn't calling these people looters a bit harsh? They are merely unlicensed recyclers volunteering to help clean up the mess.
Dean Hoffman" <""dh0496\"@win*&dstr$%eam.net

there, I fixed it for you
On 06/09/2013 09:07 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Not UNLICENSED, you insensitive clod. DIFFERENTLY licensed.
--
Cheers, Bev
And Americans come from all over the US to rebuild Okla. after tornadoes

A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent
Lou Tere;3075775 Wrote:

Isn't it ironic.
US Border guards stop a semitrailer loaded with food, blankets, diapers and water from going to Moore, Oklahoma to give those much needed things away free to the people there.
But no one is stopping looters from going to Moore, Oklahoma to steal from the people there.
Somehow that seems bass-ackwards to me.
--
nestork

Somehow you missed that the police were there to stop them Not to mention that your argument raises the question how do you identify someone who is going there to be a looter ?
On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 22:57:35 +0200, nestork

I didn't read the report so based on what you said only, I'd have to agree with you but if the items were just thrown around and not well pkgd or organized, perhaps they thought it was a cover up to use the truck for looting???
'Doug[_17_ Wrote: > ;3076283']

No, what I think was the real issue was is that our border crossings are set up to handle international shipments, not international donations, and no one on your side of the border really knew what to do with that truck. There's hundreds of trucks cross into Canada and the USA every day at the Windsor/Detroit border, and one truck shows up without any paperwork and says it's delivering disaster relief. They just didn't know quite how to handle that situation and were concerned that it could be a "trick" of some sort.
I just didn't want to see all that food go to waste, and I couldn't see why they couldn't just check random packages on the truck to make sure it was hauling what they said and not any drugs, guns, illegal aliens or whatever. I'm sure the church group in Windsor that put that shipment together would have been fine with some US army truck drivers or any trucking company in Detroit using it's drivers to haul that trailer down to Oklahoma. As long as they got the tractor and empty trailer back in one piece. With your guys in complete control of that truck and it's cargo, no one on this side of the border is going to be able to pull off anything shady involving that truck or it's cargo cuz they wouldn't have any control over what gets given to whom. If the Church group donating the stuff is fine with that, it's safe to assume there's nothing illegal going on.
Whatever, if the trailer isn't in Oklahoma by now then the food is probably already spoiled. But, there really should be some way of getting food and disaster relief across the border quickly and efficiently because people can't go long without clean water to drink, and life can be really miserable without food to eat, warm blankets and Lord knows, diapers.
--
nestork

'Oren[_2_ Wrote: > ;3076399']The fault cannot be all on the USA.

No, you're right, they probably didn't, and they should have. I'm sure there would have been plenty of Canadian customs brokers willing to fill out the necessary forms free of charge, but all that should have been done before the truck even left Windsor. Doing that while the truck is sitting at the border is just lousy planning and terrible management.
Speaking of that pipeline, that's another thing. Everyone except the environmentalists agree that it's a no-brainer, and even the environmentalists agree that a pipeline is safer then shipping that oil by sea.
Canada has enough oil to last us over 400 years so we can sell lots of it cuz in 400 years there will be different technologies to drive our cars. Canada has as much oil as Saudi Arabia, but is all mixed with sand, and it's only within the past 20 years that they've found efficient ways to process it, and that technology is evolving rapidly.
We've got lots of oil and you guys are buying oil from Venezuela and Saudi Arabia and even Nigeria now. Shipping Canadian oil to be refined in the USA and distributed as everything from asphalt to aviation fuel will:
1. help both of our economies, 2. lessen US independance on oil from politically unstable and unfriendly regions,
3. reduce the potential for a much greater environmental disaster if that oil has to be transported over water by boat, and
4. create tens of thousands of jobs during the construction and lots of long term high paying jobs on both sides of the border.
..and your President has knowledgeable advisors that are telling him as much.
We need to go ahead and build that pipe line to grow both of our economies.
--
nestork

nestork wrote:

Right now, and for the past X months, Marathon oil company in Detroit has been refining Alberta Tar Sands oil that it gets via existing pipelines. The byproduct of that refining - a mountain of "pet-coke", is sitting on a vacant lot right beside the Detroit river on the US side, down-river some distance from the Ambassador Bridge.
There appears to be no plans as to what will become of this looming pile of shit, it's an environmental distaster happening in slow motion as rain water runoff carries it into the river.
I've read estimates that up to 30% of a barrel of tar-sands crude is actually this pet-coke shit.
Extracting oil from the Alberta Tar sands is actually one big massive environmental cleanup when you think about it. If this low-quality crude was left somewhere in a shallow pit by a previous industrial process or company, then what you'd do with it now to remediate the land and detoxify it is pretty much the same thing that is going on in the tar sands.

but it is low quality, high sulphur shit.
The most efficient way to deal with it is to process it on-site, and use steam generated by small nuclear reactors to do it, instead of burning massive amounts of natural gas.
You want to know the real reason why the XL pipeline wasn't approved by the US gov't?
The real reason -> because Canada is probably not going to play along with being a partner in the multi-billion-dollar Lockheed Martin F-35 fiasco.
We've realized that the F-35 is a money-sucking excuse for a fighter jet, and we've pulled our plans to buy some of these planes at ridiculous prices as the entire project cost over-runs goes into orbit.
The US doesn't like it when Canada doesn't buy it's "fair share" of military hardware from US vendors, and retaliation like the XL pipeline veto is one of the consequences.
Home Guy;3076571 Wrote: >

Yeah, I was watching a CBC documentary on what's happening with that fighter, and it's production schedule just keeps getting postponed and the estimated price on each one keeps going up.
Canada's role in the UN has traditionally been as peace keepers, and for that we need big heavy slow cargo airplanes to get our troops and equipment to the 4 corners of the Earth, not supersonic stealth fighters.
And, the kinds of war we're engaged in has changed. What good does a supersonic stealth fighter do if your enemy is fighting a guerilla war by planting IEDs in the roads and stealing hostages.
I think the NEXT generation of fighter isn't going to be supersonic OR stealth. It's going to be an unmanned drone because those can be used for war, search and rescue and border security and lots of different uses like that. Maybe we should be buying unmanned drones instead.
--
nestork

Assuming someone else pays for and flies the fighter aircraft that make safe passage for the cargo planes..... Do you think you could have landed a C-130 in Libya before all their air defenses were dismantled and their own fighter aircraft destroyed?

Seems those fighters were needed recently in places like Iraq and Libya. Stay tuned for Syria.......

The US military bought more drones than conventional aircraft for the first time just a year or two ago.
' snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net[_2_ Wrote:

Syria is another mess.
But things in Syria aren't black and white. There is the Alouite (sp?) clan in Syria that genuinely support Bashir Allasad, and so it's not a black and white case of getting rid of a universally hated dictator so that the people can enjoy a better and truly democratic government. It's a case of picking sides between Syrians that want to see Bashir go and Syrians that want to see him stay.
As far as the Canadian oil goes, I think it's just a matter of time before the XL pipeline is built. America needs oil so badly that it was willing to put up with Hugo Chavez to get it, and Canada has enough to supply our own needs for another 400 years, so we're swimming in it. Obama can see for himself that both countries will benefit from building that pipeline, but he's playing his cards close to his chest because he knows it's a big deal, and he wants the best deal he can hammer out for the US. Our government is going to want the best deal it can hammer out for Canada. But, the pipeline is going to help both economies grow and so it's a good idea regardless of what side of the border you're looking at it from. So, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when we build that pipeline.
--
nestork

I don't see much difference in that respect with what went on in Libya. There were still Libyans that were strong supporters of Kadafi and like Assad, he had the military on his side. If anything, in the case of Libya, Kadafi in the last couple of decades, had pretty much behaved himself internationally. He wasn't sponsoring terrorism and he even gave up his nuke program under international supervision. And like Syria, there is no guarantee what will happen in Libya with Kaddafi gone. Best case it turns into some kind of stable democracy. Worst case, it spins into Islamic extremist hell. There was no real reason that I could see for Obama taking a different position with Syria, than with Libya. Except perhaps that in the case of Libya, there are European oil interests involved, so the Europeans were out front, pushing for intervention. That way, Obama could "lead from behind".
In the case of Syria, there is less downside. Assad is best buddies with Iran and a big supporter of terrorism. So, even if the rebels that replace him are worse, it's hard to imagine that they are going to be a lot worse for the region. And there is an upside that it could turn out better. That of course is if it's not too late to do something. Had there been a similar international operation in Syria, it could have been over by now. Now, it will take a massive air operation to turn it around.
The alternative view is that since you can't predict what will happen, just leave it alone and let what happens, happen. But if we're going to do that, then it was a big mistake for Obama to say that any use of chemical weapons would have serious consequences. In reality, this chem weapons thing is insignificant. By all accounts, only 150 or so peoplee were killed. That out of 95,000? Makes no sense to me. If Assad were killling thousands with chemical weapons, then I can see it. But it's OK to kill 95,000 with rockets, tanks, airplanes, bombs, etc but if you kill 150 with chemical weapons it's suddenly a big dea?

What best deal? AFAIK, there is no deal being negotiated. The sole issue is that environmentalists are blocking it and Obama is siding with them. And these environmentalists really don't want that oil in any way, shape or form. You can't just move the pipeline 10 miles or do another study that will appease them. They think any fossil fuel is just evil and the fact that we're just going to be buying it from Venezuela or Saudi Arabia doesn't register with them.
Also, as far as negotiating, Obama doesn't even understand the concept. Last year, before the election, he was caught on an open mike telling Medveydev that "After the election, I will have more flexibility (on arms control)." Medveydev told him, "I will tell Vladymer (Putin). Great job negotiating.
Or look what the dummy did when first came into office. He cancelled the radar station that was committed to go into Poland as part of a missle defense system. He cancelled it because the Russians didn't like it. Obama insulted the Poles. And what did he negotiate in return from the Russian? Nothing.... zippo. Anyone with a brain would have played hardball with the Russians. Like, if you want that radar cancelled, then get Iran to stop building nukes.
So, sorry, but I don't think the concept of negotiating is even in Obama's DNA.

I'd say it will take until the 2014 elections, at least. More likely until 2017 when we get a new president.

.

I agree 100% with all that you say, except that "even the environmentalists agree that it's safer to ship oil via pipeline than by sea". I agree it is indeed safer. But I've yet to hear one environmentalist say it. To them virtually everything to do with energy is bad. Even say windmills. When it finally comes time to put them up somewhere, the environmentalists are blocking that too....