Alternatives to Redwood: Deck

Well, she finally did it; my wife, she killed my wonderful (and large) redwood deck!
So, I have to decide how to rebuild my 18 x 24 foot deck.
Do I replace the uncovered portion with a concrete patio (I live on pure adobe soil)? The current deck is about 18-24 inches above ground.
Do I rebuild with redwood (it sure is good to look at)?
Do I rebuild with a decking alternative, something other than redwood? If this is the way to go, what are my alternatives and what are the pro's and con's?
If there's an already been answered to death thread floating in the google ether world and you remember the thread title, ...
Thanks,
Bryan
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:32:59 GMT,

What happened, she gain weight?
-Graham
Remove the 'snails' from my email
G. Morgan wrote:

(covering most of the deck and about 2.5 feet high) on the deck and filled it with water then allowed all the water to drain soaking the adobe underneath the deck then refilled the pool.
Either all the weight on the deck pushed the support post down into the wet adobe or the deck supports just couldn't handle the weight.
The deck is far enough gone that I was going back and forth on the idea of repairing or replacing. Since I have to take things apart to repair the damage, I figure I might as well build a new deck from the ground up.
Bryan
Bryan wrote:

talking about Sonoma County in Northern California in case that makes a difference re: recommendations and pro's/con's.
Bryan

I'd replace it all with a concrete patio. Less maintenance, no worries about skunks or rodents taking up residence under it. Lasts a hundred years.

I'd go with Ipe. Very strong and would last 25 or more years. Downside is it turns gray. But no maintenance needed.
Here's a page on it: http://www.finehouse.net/Components%20Lumber2.htm
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Once a year put on a coat of Penofin Oil It will retard the color change (it has UV inhibitors) and the deck will last 50 years.
Don Wiss wrote:

What's the typical price of Ipe vs. cedar or Trexx?
Brian

A lot more. I don't know as the material cost was part of the total price of having my deck redone and an arbor for the wisteria built.
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Don Wiss wrote:

Ok, thanks (you too Edwin).
Brian

I bought some mahogany decking material, but I used it for a bench. IIRC it was $1.90 or so a lineal foot, the Ipe was about $2.10. A 4 x 4 x 8' post was in the range of $40.

In Oregon's Willamette valley you can get ipe for less than $3 a linear foot. We used Bangirai (sp) for our deck in the Cascades. Not quite as hard as ipe but still very hard (and heavy). Were able to go with 16" centers with no sag at all. Stained beautifully with Penefin (sp?). A neighbor found it on sale for less than $2/lf. We paid $2.50 or so at Parr Lumber.
skg
windriverfamily wrote:

So somewhere around 50% more than a composite (Lowes lists ChoiceDeck at around $1.60 LF for 5/4 x 6) and 1.5 to 2 times that of cedar, depending on thickness.
Thanks.
Brian