Redwood Deck

I purchased a seven year old home a year ago.

Yesterday I finished re-sanding the entire deck.

Has anyone ever used CWF Clear Wood Finish? I am wondering if this is a good route to go. My neighbor did his deck with this finish, and it looks beautiful, and is not tacky like Olypic Stain can be. He recently did this, so I have no idea what it will look like a year from now.

This group is so knowledgeable, that I thought I would post for help again.

TIA,

Corinne

Reply to
Corinne

after all that sanding, maybe just enjoy the color of the wood itself for a bit? if you want to go with an oil product like this one describes, you will still have to reclean and recoat every year or two. it is less likely to peel. it notes it is for soft woods. it recommends a different latex prouct it makes for hardwoods and for pressure treated woods. we have a ten year old pressure treated deck and i'm sorry we ever started latex staining it, i don't want to recoat it every year, and it looks bad after one year. i'm going to let the weather work it off and leave it alone. i just can't imagine how you don't track oil on your feet and sneakers ffrom an oil treated surface in and out of the house all day, with or without pets, as you try to enjoy your deck.

see nice product > I purchased a seven year old home a year ago.

Reply to
buffalobill

It soaks in and cures. I have it on some outdoor furniture and it does not stain. After a few hours, it does not come off any more. I'd use an oil with UV inhibitors to maintain the color longer. I've had good luck with Penofin so far.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Consumer Reports testers found that Cabot Decking Stain 1480, an alkyd that cleans up with solvent, and Cabot Solid Color 1880, a latex that cleans up with water, are both outstanding opaque treatments that topped the Ratings. Both prevented color change as well as resisted dirt and mildew, but the Cabot Solid Color 1880 excelled in cracking prevention. In addition, the Wolman DuraStain 18146 is the best semitransparent stain for wood worth showing off. While it's an alkyd like the Cabot, it also cleans up with water.

For homeowners interested in having the most natural look, CR deemed the clear Olympic WaterGuard 55560, a latex that cleans up with water, as the best and only choice.

July 2006 issue.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Thank you so much for this info. It does get confusing, as everyone has a different opinion.

Reply to
Corinne

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and also for sending me the url. So far, I am unable to access the site, but will keep trying.

This is one thing I liked about CWF. My neighbor's deck was dry in two hours, and I walked on it barefoot and did not have any residue on my feet.

I have used Olympic before, at another house, and this certainly was not the case.

I am anxious to > after all that sanding, maybe just enjoy the color of the wood itself > for a bit?

Reply to
Corinne