Air Purifiers

Page 2 of 2

A major component of dust is dead skin cells and pet dander. As long as you're living in your home, dust will accumulate.
If you want to get rid of dust, the best way is to eliminate the things that trap it - carpets, draperies, plush furniture, etc. No air cleaner is going to get rid of all the dust, since at any given time most of it is sitting in your carpets and furniture.
I have used the standalone filters for years. If the objective is to breathe less dust then you will do well with one of these filters. They vastly reduce the amount of airborne dust in the room. If you have pets, are a smoker, or do a lot of cooking then you will notice the difference right away. It goes without saying that these devices only reduce (not eliminate) airborne dust and do nothing to prevent the problem. I love my filter.

Which Brand / Model do you have?
Since you all are talking about air purifiers. I have several HEPA purifiers, but after a little while, stopped using them because I was supposed to changed the filters, which cost quite a bit. Theoretically, I should be able to reuse the filters if I vacuum them out well (will an in-house vacuum that exhausts outside). Any input?
--
Later \'gator

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Don Lee wrote:

I am not sure it is possible to properly clean them using a vacuum. My guess is that you may be able to do it once or twice and by then the accumulated very small particles that are very difficult to get out are going to cause too much resistance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
That is a very good point. However, I think that most of the blockages are caused by the bigger dust particles. So, if I change the prefilter (cheap) more often, skip the charcoal filter (major cause of black dust), I might be able to recycle the HEPA several times before coughing out the big bucks.
--
Later \'gator

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Don Lee wrote:

On my Honeywell filter the charcoal filter is the pre-filter. They advertise the HEPA as being a "lifetime' filter which requires no replacement so long as the pre-filter is used and changed regularly. The pre-filter is not so cheap, about 7 bucks. I'm not sure how often I replace it, but not very often. There is a little light that comes one when it needs replacement and by the time that light comes on that pre-filter is full of dust! I have had my Honeywell for years and have never needed to replace the main filter. The pre-filter catches the big stuff thus protecting the main filter.
Lawrence
On my Honeywell filter, the charcoal filter is the pre-filter and is the only one that has to be replaced. Honeywell says that their HEPA is a "lifetime" filter which never has to be replaced so long as the pre-filter is used and changed regularly. The pre filter cost about 7 bucks. I'm not sure how often I replace it, but not very often. There a light which which comes one to tell you when it needs replacement and by the time that light comes on it is full of stuff.