air conditoning

Page 1 of 2
I live in an small apartment with my grandfather and mother we would like to install a home air condtioner but we shopped around that we should not have any problems installing it. The one we looke at has 8,000 btus and we do not have enough power to run the ac Should I have an electrican to look at my place to see I can install an ac in my apartment I want to install a unit that meant to go on the windows.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

an electrician.

Thank you for the friendly reply. I will call the landlord tommorow. Another person told me that it would not be able to because the ac needs to on its own circut breaker does that person know what he is talking about I went to Home depot and asked around and one of salespeople told me this he said that you might need more power to run the ac.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

and what you need to install.
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 05:42:19 +0000, CJT wrote:

That might maybe possibly could be depends on almost sometimes not quite supposedly.....................
Nice when you can answer safely and only appear to know what your talking about isn't it?
The /best/ advice is OP needs to have his landlord take care of this....period.
lets remember its possible to avoid running other things when the AC is on, this avoids overloading circuits.
I did thisd for years here, because our main panel was maxed out/.
ots safe and effective but inconvenient.
does the apartment have a washing machine? washer could share a circuit with the AC, with a appropiate extension cord.
there are a variety of work arounds,

What about central air is that a better soultlon I can ask my landlord to install the airconditioner.

supply and return. If you have hot air heat, that is practical, if you have hot water heat and no ducts, it is very expensive to install them.
If your landlord decides to install central, you, in the end, are going to be paying for it.
If I was renting, I'd go for a window unit, at least for the bedroom so I could sleep They are usually small and will operate in existing circuits with no problem.
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:52:32 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you have central forced air heating then yes central air conditioning would be the way to go.

I called my landlord he said that the socket must be changed and we should get a unit that is 110 volts. He is comming to change to socket tommorow.
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:39:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

He's the boss :)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

??? That's a bit odd.
I hope for your sake he knows what he's doing.
If you see him changing breakers, you might want to get a second opinion from a licensed electrician.

He is just going to change the socket. The salesperson said that we should be fine.

I don't know what he is accomplishing by just changing the outlet.
Mikepier wrote:

Probably easier than cutting off the grounding plug.

I was thinking the same thing, but with a new outlet, hopefully it is going to have a good contact and ground perhaps alleviating any poor condition problems that did exist.
Mikepier wrote:

You've probably seen them -- the ones with one prong turned 90 degrees. The problem arises if the wiring isn't appropriate to such a socket.

What is the standard size of the socket?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>
compare:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item91&section954&JServSessionIdrootlxln0001#rqli6qv1.p7vGpx0Ka34Ip6jQolfJpwTDpAaUp7vGpx0Ka34Ip6jQolfJpwTDpAaUahmKa30-&LCPROD 3TrYH5LnNCl1cdUcPUOley:S&LCPROD_pses=LCPROD%3D0d3TrYH5LnNCl1cdUcPUOley%253AS%7E
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item275&section954&JServSessionIdrootlxln0001#rqli6qv1.p7vGpx0Ka34Ip6jQolfJpwTDpAaUp7vGpx0Ka34Ip6jQolfJpwTDpAaUahmKa30-&LCPROD 3TrYH5LnNCl1cdUcPUOley:S&LCPROD_pses=LCPROD%3D0d3TrYH5LnNCl1cdUcPUOley%253AS%7E

If it's a 20A circuit, then technically that is the outlet that should be used, but in all honesty for an 8,000 BTU a/c a regular 15A outlet would work fine ( providing no other heavy loads on that circuit). Once you get into the 10,000+ BTU range, thats when you should be concerned about current draw.