air conditoning

I live in an small apartment with my grandfather and mother we would like to install a home air condtioner but we shopped around that we should not have any problems installing it. The one we looke at has

8,000 btus and we do not have enough power to run the ac Should I have an electrican to look at my place to see I can install an ac in my apartment I want to install a unit that meant to go on the windows.
Reply to
karsan2007

I think your landlord would want to be involved in anything requiring an electrician.

Reply to
CJT

the 8,000 for 3 people may be too small to begin with, please first see:

the landlord may thrilled for you to hire his approved electrician to install a new circuit for 110v or 220v if needed depending on the air conditioner manual. it will all be at your expense including a permit, and per your lease, if allowed. you may need permission, and you may need more than one unit and outlet to do the job.

Reply to
buffalobill

Thank you for the friendly reply. I will call the landlord tommorow. Another person told me that it would not be able to because the ac needs to on its own circut breaker does that person know what he is talking about I went to Home depot and asked around and one of salespeople told me this he said that you might need more power to run the ac.

Reply to
karsan2007

I guess that I will stick to my fan and keep the windows closed

Reply to
karsan2007

That might be true. It all depends on the specifics of what you have and what you need to install.

Reply to
CJT

While it is best to be on its own circuit it is possible to run a 10,000 Btu AC on a circuit that is only using a couple of lights. If there are other appliances, then no.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree. A 10,000 BTU a/c uses approx 10 amps. If you have a 20 amp circuit with light load, you could get away with it. If it was a 15 amp circuit, I'm not sure it would hold when the compressor initially starts up.

It's very possible a dedicated outlet already exists. Have someone turn off each breaker and see if anything else is on that outlet.

Reply to
Mikepier

That might maybe possibly could be depends on almost sometimes not quite supposedly.....................

Nice when you can answer safely and only appear to know what your talking about isn't it?

The /best/ advice is OP needs to have his landlord take care of this....period.

Reply to
Meat Plow

lets remember its possible to avoid running other things when the AC is on, this avoids overloading circuits.

I did thisd for years here, because our main panel was maxed out/.

ots safe and effective but inconvenient.

does the apartment have a washing machine? washer could share a circuit with the AC, with a appropiate extension cord.

there are a variety of work arounds,

Reply to
hallerb

If you can move enough air through the Evaporator coil & through the other rooms back to the AC, you will be amazed at the area you can cool with a good 8,000-BTUH window AC.

800-Sq.Ft. with a 6,000-BTUH @ 104 Heat Index. DISCLAIMER: I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any of my Web pages, in E-Mails or News Groups. All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor & properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages primarily for your understanding & communication with contractors & techs. This information is also for the edification of Contractors and Techs. Never attempt anything that you are NOT competent to do in a SAFE manner! I am NOT liable for your screw-ups, you are liable for what you do! - udarrell.com - Darrell U.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

AC.http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_chart...>

What about celing fans they save alot more enegry.

Reply to
karsan2007

What about central air is that a better soultlon I can ask my landlord to install the airconditioner.

Reply to
karsan2007

Central air is great, but not suited for every building. You need ducts for supply and return. If you have hot air heat, that is practical, if you have hot water heat and no ducts, it is very expensive to install them.

If your landlord decides to install central, you, in the end, are going to be paying for it.

If I was renting, I'd go for a window unit, at least for the bedroom so I could sleep They are usually small and will operate in existing circuits with no problem.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do you sell ceiling fans? I do not sell anything. Ceiling fans might save some on energy, depending on the particular application. A 20" Wind Machine is around $22.00, how much is the ceiling fan? I won't go into all the details of why I like the 20" portable fans, for cooling they work great for me. - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

If you have central forced air heating then yes central air conditioning would be the way to go.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I called my landlord he said that the socket must be changed and we should get a unit that is 110 volts. He is comming to change to socket tommorow.

Reply to
karsan2007

He's the boss :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

??? That's a bit odd.

I hope for your sake he knows what he's doing.

If you see him changing breakers, you might want to get a second opinion from a licensed electrician.

Reply to
CJT

quoted text -

He is just going to change the socket. The salesperson said that we should be fine.

Reply to
karsan2007