Air conditioning for 720 square foot upstairs apartment

So, I'm now in an apartment and I'm trying to plan for the upcoming summer. For those 100 degree days, is there a way to air condition this size apartment without installing any vents, etc out of a window or door? If so, what items would you recommend to buy?

Reply to
Znott

A couple 7000 btu window units.

Reply to
Meat Plow

There is absolutely, positively no way to air condition a space without having a place to exhaust the excess heat. Otherwise you could air condition your apartment by leaving the refrigerator door open!

The most practical way to air condition the apartment is with inexpensive window units.

There are also floor units that have a flexible tube for exhausting the hot air to the outside.

You MUST exhaust the heat to the outdoors somehow. Otherwise your apartment will only get hotter and hotter, with the air conditioner running.

Reply to
mkirsch1

a great big 220v window unit will do it. Or a couple of smaller ones.

S. Barker

I belive the biggest uint you can get on a 120v line is a 1200. I have a

1700 sqft house and the Panasonic 12,000 BTU unit I have pretty much do the entire ranch home if I leave the doors open.

The trick is to make sure on hot days you start the unit before temp outside hits 100. I live in New England where the temp hit the 90, but the humidity hits 100%. I made sure I purchased the units that had a delayed on and off timer so that I could set it up to turn on mid day before the house started heating up.

Lets say your like me were you leave for work before 8 and get back about 5 and the house is hotter than the devil. Set the AC to turn on about noon on low energy saving fan at about 74 and when you get home you are not roasting your cookies off.

Reply to
Jordan

You should do your own manual J so you know what BTUH room AC you need. I cool the first floor of an old 1937 over 900-sq.ft home with a mere

6,000-BTUH room AC. A comfortable Temperature & Humidity control even at 112-F Heat Index.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

And do those work without any vents out of a window or door?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Will that work without anything sticking out of a window or door?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I determined that our third-floor room, 22'x14' with windows on the north, west, and south sides, 1930 house, needed either 8,000 or

10,000 BTU, and I went with the 10,000 BTU because of the extreme weather/heat exposure swings of that space. Works well.
Reply to
KLS

Swamp Cooler !!!

Reply to
Pat

Big chunk of dry ice in the middle of your living room floor !!!

Reply to
Pat