Air conditioner overamping

Our A/C will shut itself off intermittently only to start working again some time later (sometimes 10-15 minues, sometimes hours). We had two HVAC technicians come out (from the same company no less), both of whom diagnosed the problem as the condenser overamping (pulling 20 amps when only rated for 18).
The first technician suggested replacing the contact points (or something like that) and the fuse -- what he said would be a $200 repair. The second technician said neither of those repairs would actually help, and that the condenser would have to be replaced.
I know nothing about A/C or electrical matters in general, but given the different answers (and costs) I was hoping someone could tell me which, if either of these guys, is telling me the truth.
Thanks! Ken
tivolo wrote:

How old is the A/C?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
tivolo writes:

That's not a diagnosis. A mere 10 percent over current spec isn't significant anyway.
Whaddya mean "shut itself off"? Overtemperature cutout switch? Several minor things can cause this, including overheating from short cycling, weak run capacitor, or a sticky condenser fan.
Your technicians sound less than fully competent.
Dont ya mean Compressor is pulling to much not condensor, how old is it.
"Neither. Pulling two amps more than rated is not much. If it is pulling more, there must be a reason. Did they give you a reason? Sometimes, when motor bearings are starting to go, they take more power to turn and the motor may pull a bit higher. This may or may not be your problem. Call a third tech. "
I agree with the above. Also, if you have one of those utility switches that turns off your compressor, bypass it or otherwise get rid of it.
Thanks to everyone for all of the reponses. The unit is 6 years old, so still relatively young (in my book, at least). When it shuts off, you can hear the compressor suddenly drop out and then, seconds later, the fan stops.
I don't know enough to diagnose the cause myself, although the second tech implied it was overheating due to the extra amperage and a safety switch was being triggered (although I never saw any evidence of him verifying this was the case -- sounded like pure conjecture).
Here are the exact notes left by the first tech: "Overamping due to burned contact points and wrong size fuse." The second tech merely wrote: "Compressor is overamping, will need to be replaced."
All of that said, the thing's been working great today and almost non-stop as it hit 110 degrees outside.
Thanks again - Ken