A/C compressor won't shut off

Everything seems to be working fine, but then when the thermostat trips off, and the furnace blower fan turns off as it should, the compressor outside keeps running. If I take the cover off the electrical section and give it a sharp rap, it lets go and turns off. So it appears it has to be a relay that's not letting go.

Well, all I can see in there is the main contactor, which has pretty pitted contacts, and the hard-start relay. I was planning on replacing the contactor, but wondered if it could possibly be the start relay that's not letting go.

Thanks

Reply to
Peabody

Contactor relay.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Replace the contactor, wash the condenser coil. It's likely dirty, causing unsually high amperage draw, heating the contractor contacts and 'welding' them together. Also, replace the air filter to limit long run times.

Reply to
Zyp

I would agree with changing the contactor but a high head would not cause the contacts to burn and pit.

I would think worn out contacts and check your hard start cap. to see if you spot any damage. If so replace the relay and cap.

I also agree that you should wash your coils and change your air filter.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

:-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Nobody&#39;s going to check the compressor terminals?

I just had too... LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

Your right.

But some times I worry about a home owner, who is just trying to save some money, get hurt while working on their own system.

Heck I have seen service tech forget what they are doing and have gotten hurt.

Reply to
Moe Jones

I&#39;ve seen it too. If the OP does in fact try to do a self repair, I hope he knows enough about 220v systems to prevent a trip to the coroner&#39;s office.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Very true, I wouldn&#39;t advice a homeowner to check them either.

I was just being ornery. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Thanks very much for the responses. I ended up replacing the contactor, and so far it&#39;s working fine. The old contacts were badly pitted.

And I even remembered to pull the fuse block out before I did the replacement, So no ambulance or coffin was required. No OP&#39;s were harmed in the making of this repair. :-)

I have a feeling I do need to replace the entire condenser unit, and probadly should do so before this one fails. I couldn&#39;t help but notice in my records that when this one was installed in 1985, they charged me $650 installed. I suspect it would be somewhat more today for a 42k btu unit.

Could they still use freon 22 in a new unit?

Reply to
Peabody

Some manufacture&#39;s are planning to stop production of their R-22 units at the end of this year.

2010 is the date where R-22 equipment production will be over. :-(
Reply to
<kjpro

Freon is a brand name. Like Isotron, Genetron, or Forane.

Refrigerants are known by number. There are numbers 11, 12, 22,

134a, 408a, 409a, 410a, 500, 502, which are all in use at the moment.

Which refrigerant do you want?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I want a R11 residential unit.

You going to shit me one?

Reply to
<kjpro

Yes but the new units with 22 is getting harder to come by and if you can find one don&#39;t worry about getting refrigerant

10-20 years from now it will be still plenty of it while others might tell you no. R-11,12, 114 ,500 production has stop in 1992 but there is still plenty of it on market. Tony
Reply to
Tony

22 units are all over the place... Whatever you might want is easy to locate.
Reply to
<kjpro