Adding a Phone line (follow up ?)

I'm running another phone line to my living room. The gang connection for the house is in the basement. I'll run it from there to the garage and then up to the LR. I may as well put a phone outlet in the garage while I'm at it. Question is, should I split it off at the garage and then continue up to the LR or should I run a completly seperate line for each.
The house is new and has seperate lines for each room (they didn't put one in the LR- only room without one). Will I have diminished performance on the basement and living room lines if I use one line for both..?
As far as wiring and hooking up goes, I've done it before so I have no problem with that.
TIA
| I'm running another phone line to my living room. The gang connection | for the house is in the basement. I'll run it from there to the garage | and then up to the LR. | I may as well put a phone outlet in the garage while I'm at it. Question | is, should I split it off at the garage and then continue up to the LR | or should I run a completly seperate line for each.
Split in the garage will be fine.

Do you have DSL internet access? A bunch of unterminated stubs can cause reflections that can cause your DSL service to be slower. Separate lines are likely to be worse than a mid-point tap, so to speak.
Bob Hofmann
Thanks. I'll do the splice.. I have webtv. Since I live here 6 months and another home 6 months, the msn one plan makes it simple to use both computer and webtv unit in both places..
On Jul 4, 5:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

the POTS doesn't care where (or if) there is a split ((if DSL or lighted dial the water muddies a bit))
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 18:39:30 -0400, in2-dadark wrote:

Be aware, in newer homes the phone lines use CAT 3 or CAT 5 cables for phone lines. Older homes had the Red, Black, Yellow, Green lines. The newer cables have several pairs of twisted pairs; White with strip matched with Blue with White strip, Orange with White strip, Green with White stripe or Brown with White stripe. Total of 4 pairs, each pair separately twisted with it's own matched pair.
You can actually run 4 separate voice phone lines on one CAT 5 cable. All you need do is check inside your wall plug in front room to see if you have multi-twisted pair cable for your phone line.
BORGS have wall plate replacements so you can go from 1 phone jack to 2 or 4 phone jacks on a single wall plate. Connect an unused pair to a new jack on the wall plate, and connect the other end of the pair down in the basement.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

My house has 3 levels of living space including finished basement and back yard gezebo, sunroom, deck, etc. I got tired of running phone lines every where. Went to cordless set up. One base station with multiple handsets. Now from any where in the house we can use phone. I even went wireless with my thermostat for heating/cooling. No more hassle with wires for that either. I can even move the thermostat around in the house, LOL.