A real craftsman makes his own tools!

Time again to reverse the direction of the ceiling fan in the bedroom. Twice a year, just like Daylight Savings Time.

Problem is, I can't reach the switch without fetching a ladder or step-stool. There's got to be a better way!

Searching through the bin of things longer than they are wide, I found a 1/8 x 1/2" stick of aluminum, about 4 feet long. Heating up the end with a propane torch, I was able to bend one inch over to 90° to the main part.

Now I can just hook, or push, the switch! No more hauling in a hazardous ladder and so forth. I store the tool in the bedroom closet; it doesn't take up much room.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sometime between now and spring, you'll end up needing a 1/8" x 1/2? stick of aluminum, about 4 feet long, for a project. You'll remember the tool you made and go get it from the bedroom closet. You'll find that you need it to be straight, so you'll cut the 1" bend off. You'll then find that the stick is 1? too short for your current project. "Oh well", you'll say, "I'll just put the bend back in." You will then find that it is 1? to short to reach the fan switch and you'll go get the step ladder you should have gotten yesterday.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You must be daft! What are the odds of that ever happening? :-0

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

'Ceptin you didn't need to heat the alum to bend it. :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's dangerous. It's much safer to stand on a rolling swivel chair.

Reply to
Tegger

Happened to the woman from Meskogie, back in

1961. It was really a tear jerker, too. She was so sad. I know, she was my barber's sister's cousin. It must be true.

.

You must be daft! What are the odds of that ever happening? :-0

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

With his arthritis?

.

'Ceptin you didn't need to heat the alum to bend it. :)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

how and why???

Reply to
hrhofmann

You need some Wheaties, son, if you can't bend 1/8" aluminum without a torch.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Task here was to scrape remnants of paper wasp nest off the siding up under the eaves. Done by old painting supplies: Telescopic extending pole with screw thread at end that fits discarded paint roller (roller removed, leaving a short hook.) This tool reaches about 9 feet, also useful for steering the Kreepy Krawler that cleans the pool.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

And I always thought that Sears made craftsman tools!

Reply to
123