A new thing to worry about

Page 1 of 3

Powering Your Switch Connect the supplied AC adapter to 12VDC/100mA on the back of the switch. Then, plug the other end of the adapter into a standard AC outlet. The power turns on.
Note: To avoid injury, do not connect the adapter to a ceiling outlet.
My gosh! A new thing to worry about.

From generic antenna installation instructions, from www.terrestrial-digital.com
After a page of warnings about grounding, power lines and windy days, more warnings:
WARNING Do not attempt to install if drunk, pregnant or both. Do not eat antenna. Do not throw antenna at spouse.

I guess that's one of those "direct translation from the Chinese" things, but here's a serious one I saw the other day on a building compound gate at my local supermarket where they are doing some refurbing. It said
"No alcohol or drugs to be used on this site"
What is the world coming to ? My wife won a toy radio controlled car at the bingo last weekend. Some of the instructions on that box were hysterical, but she's given it away now, so unfortunately, I can't share :-( That was mine to play with ...
Arfa

Employment laws pretty much the same here, and you're quite right on what exactly that sign was about. Just struck me as a sad state of affairs when you have to advise someone who has actually *got* a job, that it could be in jeopardy if they start boozing or using illegal substances whilst they are supposed to be doing that job. As to the singling out of employees for what you as an employer consider to be unacceptable behaviour or performance, this whole area is an absolute minefield here now, especially since this rotten government of ours, has allowed much of our employment law to now be dictated by Johnny Foreigner across the water ...
Arfa
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 02:04:38 -0000, "Arfa Daily"

Federal Civil Service workers here are protected by the Merit Systems Protection Board.
Say 80% of those fired, then appeal. Fact is they get their job back, back pay and benefits, even if they had sex with a prisoner :-/
On 12/9/2009 1:27 AM Arfa Daily spake thus:

So tell me if you've read anything that can beat this: one a'them sun shades you put inside your car's windshield (sorry, windSCREEN) that says this inside:
REMOVE BEFORE DRIVING
(not translated-from-Chinese hilarity, but still ...)
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

Warning Labels:
""For external use only!" -- On a curling iron."
""Do not use if you cannot see clearly to read the information in the information booklet." -- In the information booklet."

Okay, my favorite: On a Superman costume:
Caution: Costume does not enable wearer to fly.

Seen on packets of nuts here now "Caution - may contain nuts..."
and on hot drinks take-away cups " Caution - contents may be hot ..."
Arfa
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:27:59 -0000, "Arfa Daily"

I think this was just the sense of humor of the guys at terrestrial-digital. I think it's great.

I remember years ago... I was working on the end of an extension cord. Somehow it got plugged in while I was working on it, and I touched the two wires together. Big bang.
The end was in another room, and I'm yelling at my spouse: "Unplug that cord..."
She got really pissed off at me for yelling at her.
(but was I wrong? <bg>)

Depends who you ask. Your wife thinks you were (d&r) ;-)
PeterD wrote:

If a man speaks in the forest
And there is no woman to hear him
Is he still wrong?
If you have to ask, you're not married.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

At which point you no longer needed to ask that the cord be unplugged.
Reminds me of something that happened many years back when my dad was replacing the light fixture one room over. I said "you should really turn the power off before doing that".
"Oh no, I'll do it hot." (I really have no idea what possessed him to do this, he knew better, but...)
I was sitting at my desk, working on my computer when the lights went out.
Evidently sound does travel slower than light, as it wasn't until a second or so later that I heard a swear word. <g>
There was also a slight pop, but I never heard that. It kind of surprised me that a slight pop is all there was.

Yes, if you have fuses or circuit breakers...!
William
mm wrote:

Do you want to be hit in the head when the wall wart falls out of a crappy outlet? :)
--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!

Hi!

I don't know why, but I find that absolutely hilarious.
"Why won't this thing WORK?!" (turns it over to examine it, make sure it's plugged in)

"Ow. Oh."
William
It sounds like a routine for three stooges?
Ow! Why'd you hit me? I dunno, why'd you turn off the radio? I didn't turn off the radio. Hey, someone switch on the light? What, no light? No! Curly took the bulb out to plug in the radio! Hey, someone turn on the radio so I can find the light....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

News report... MM was found hanging by a cord that was foolishly plugged into a ceiling outlet. Details at 11.
<bseg> I'm surprised they didn't say:
"Note: To avoid injury, do not connect the adapter to any outlet."
which would have been more accurate.
Or even:
"Note: To avoid injury, do not open the package containing this adapter."
Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet, in my shower?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus