A new thing to worry about

It sounds like a routine for three stooges?

Ow! Why'd you hit me? I dunno, why'd you turn off the radio? I didn't turn off the radio. Hey, someone switch on the light? What, no light? No! Curly took the bulb out to plug in the radio! Hey, someone turn on the radio so I can find the light....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Employment laws pretty much the same here, and you're quite right on what exactly that sign was about. Just struck me as a sad state of affairs when you have to advise someone who has actually *got* a job, that it could be in jeopardy if they start boozing or using illegal substances whilst they are supposed to be doing that job. As to the singling out of employees for what you as an employer consider to be unacceptable behaviour or performance, this whole area is an absolute minefield here now, especially since this rotten government of ours, has allowed much of our employment law to now be dictated by Johnny Foreigner across the water ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On 12/9/2009 5:14 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Are you saying that's how Jesus would've done it?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 12/9/2009 1:27 AM Arfa Daily spake thus:

So tell me if you've read anything that can beat this: one a'them sun shades you put inside your car's windshield (sorry, windSCREEN) that says this inside:

REMOVE BEFORE DRIVING

(not translated-from-Chinese hilarity, but still ...)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

NO, You yell out Jesus when the fire flies. Also a good way to meet Him.

Maybe safer to get a couple of high current devices such as two hair dryers and turn one on and then the other.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Federal Civil Service workers here are protected by the Merit Systems Protection Board.

Say 80% of those fired, then appeal. Fact is they get their job back, back pay and benefits, even if they had sex with a prisoner :-/

Reply to
Oren

Warning Labels:

""For external use only!" -- On a curling iron."

""Do not use if you cannot see clearly to read the information in the information booklet." -- In the information booklet."

Reply to
Oren

Hey! You stealing my material again?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Haier central a/c condensing units --made in China--have a little warning sticker in them that I get a good chuckle out of. They have a little circuit board that is a time delay to prevent short cycling which they refer to as a PCB, and they refer to the 24 volt thermostat wires as"communication wires" The sticker says "Make sure that the communication wires are not hooked up to the line voltage or it will cause the PCB to be out of work" Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Not sure. I'm unable to find that mentioned in any of the scriptures. More likely that's the exclaimation heard from the electrician.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've suggested the double hair dryer, but I've never seen it done in practice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Okay, my favorite: On a Superman costume:

Caution: Costume does not enable wearer to fly.

Reply to
mm

I think this was just the sense of humor of the guys at terrestrial-digital. I think it's great.

Reply to
mm

Seen on packets of nuts here now "Caution - may contain nuts..."

and on hot drinks take-away cups " Caution - contents may be hot ..."

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I used to fly sailplanes. Because these non-powered aircraft sometimes land away from the airport, they're designed to be broken down into pieces so they can be loaded on a trailer. Part of every preflight inspection was examining the removable pins that held the wings on, which everyone referred to as "Jesus pins."

Reply to
David Brodbeck

As a broadcast engineer working around large tube type transmitters, one has to be mindful of residual high voltage in the equipment. There is always an insulated pole with a metal hook and grounding conductor attached that is used to discharge any dangerous stray current. It's called a "Jesus Stick". The things can also be seen hanging around any high voltage equipment facilities.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I can imagine that. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I worked in brodcasting for decades and never heard it called that. Also, I only saw them in small transmitters. I've been inside some big transmitters, including the 500KW WLW transmitter. The only TV transmitter I saw with a shorting stick was 500 watts. The 195 KW UHF transmitters would either vaporize a shorting stick, or destroy the HV supply.

Have you ever been inside one of the Harris solid state AAM transmitters with a high current 300 volt DC power supply? It will kill you just as fast as any tube transmitter.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

NO EXCREMENT?! I was out in the Marshall Islands 20 years ago and got to explore the old phased array radar installation on Meck island at the Kwajalein Atoll. I think it had two power supplies at one time but there was one left in what was called the Frankenstein room, an incredible contraption that looked like the set of a monster movie. I wish I still had pictures, darn. There were Jesus sticks hanging all over that place. You did notice that I wrote "stray current"? You probably got into the field after the advent of Affirmative Action when dangerous items had to be hidden away from quota hires because of the death and destruction they were capable of. "Hey, what's this big red thing for?" Here's a picture of the outside of the building, I wish I had a picture of the interior.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I saw the first in the late '60s.

If you want to see an impressive power supply, visit WLW in Cincinnati, Ohio. The transmitter has multiple, large plate transformers to supply the transmitter.

We had a pair of 2 MW Westinghouse RADAR systems at Ft Rucker in the early '70s across the hall from the Weathervision office. A lot of transmitters drop the plate relays when any interlock trips. It shuts down the incoming AC line to the HV power supply, which is quickly dissipated through the final tube or tubes. Permanent sets of bleeder resistors keep the dielectric from recovering any voltage

There was nothing Affirmative Action at the stations i worked at. The TV transmitters at the AFRTS station I worked at was six feet from the control console, the processing racks directly behind the operator, and the film chain was next to the proc racks. No video tape and all in beautiful B&W.

Several radio stations had the transmitter in the control room, from the days when someone with a FCC ticket was required to be there while they were on the air. The only TV transmitter that was in a separate room was at the WACX transmitter site in Orange City. That wasn't to keep people away, but for the noise and cooling requirements. The small service area was in a room off the transmitter room, where you could barely hear what you were working on. That was a mid '80s Comark with three 65 KW Klystrons. I don't know if they modified it for DTV, or replaced it, since I haven't been to that site in 20 years.

One station I consulted with has their transmitter in the hallway leading to the studios. An old 5 KW Gates, from the '50s. A couple relay racks next to it hold the antenna and power controls for day & night power and pattern controls. A real outdated mess, but like many small stations, the owners believe that they can't afford to replace it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell