79 days left before the end of TV.

Page 1 of 7
In 79 days, I will no longer be able to watch tv. I live in a rural area. There is no cable tv. Satellite is way beyond what I can afford as a retired person, on a fixed income. I got my $40 coupons and my converter boxes. All I get is One PBS channel. On analog, I can get 7 channels. I quit using that converter for now. February 2009 will be a very sad time. No news, no weather reports, no sitcoms, no movies, no talk shows, no soaps, just Barney and the Teletubbies.......
Goodbye tv.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in

Buh-bye.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news:45f9j4teh21qp943t2muq4od7ak4okk4t9@ 4ax.com:

The channels you get on analog now probably are not broadcasting digital yet.
I thought I read that there are exceptions to the digitl by 2/2009. You could call the stations of the ones you get now to verify if they are broadcasting digital now or will they be in 2/2009. Or check their web site.
Also, to see what is being broadcast digital now for your address go to http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx Put in your street address and zip minimum.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/1/2008 9:37 PM Red Green spake thus:

Not true here, at least (S.F. Bay Area); I get all the analog stations with my little converter box.
✖
On Dec 1, 10:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Exactly where do you live????
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:50:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

There's nothing on tv anyhow. Just the 87th rerun of Law & Order, as Nina Tottenberg put it.
However, if you live in a really rural area, far from the stations, there may be repeater transmitters that will still broadcast in analog. They are rarely mentioned, but I saw a list of them somewhere.
In addition, teh stations you can get may be broadcasting in digital now, but I read something that implied they are likely not to be doing so at full power. They'll increase their power on the big day. I wish I knew how much the increase would be.
I bought one converter, which I haven't connected, and a Philips DVDR with Hard Drive. I've had it for 6 months, just using the hard drive, and I just bought some blank DVD's Friday, just to have one if I need it4.
I too watched digital for a while, and then went back to analog. My big complaint about digital is it takes at least 5 seconds, it seems like more, to tune the station in. Are they all like that?
And I can't change to another channel until the first one tunes in. Are they all like that?
If I turn the dvdr on and it's set for channel 11.1 and I want 2.1, I have to wait until it tunes in to 11.1 before I can change stations. And channel surfing is going to be slow it will be impractical. And I know longer get the newspaper tv-guide. I use a website, but I don't want to go upstairs when I'm watching tv in the kitchen, or get out of bed when I'm watching tv in bed, just to see what is on the other station.
Add pictures here
✖

I have an econo digital TV. No converter box. It still takes a moment for the station to lock in. Seems to depend on the signal strength. I see:
    Pic and sound comes in very fast     Pic comes in but sound is delayed     Black screen for a bit then all comes in     Blue screen of death with Unusable Signal message     Pixelization - I'm near FT Bragg helicopter airfield,      very near. Every time an Apache or Blackhawk goes over      it whacks things out.
Seems to depend on the signal strength.
All I have is some indoor amplified ears. Good enough for the 15 min a day I turn on the TV...sometimes.

No, not on my econo digital TV anyway. I can keep pushing the channel up button. The station display will change and the pic will not (well sometimes anyway). Stop hitting the selection button and it goes to what was last displayed...sometimes anyway. Hey, it's free. F* Time Warner (mid-south). Comcast too (northeast).
Rant: I remember when CATV was just coming into play from antenna days. Big draw was something about fewer (or none?) commercials. Last time I had cable a few years back I actually counted commercials once. 12 in a row.

Add pictures here
✖

A moment would be a lot better. Maybe it will do better when and if the signal strength is greater.

All I have is a 6' wire lying on the floor, plugged into the center of the co-ax connector. I can get Baltimore stations, but not DC like I can in analog. (I live on the NW side of Baltimore) I can get all but one DC station in analog with just the wire, and I'm sure when I repair or replace the amplified antenna in the attic, I'll be able to get them all, and maybe then the digital too, and maybe in a moment rather than 5 seconds. I can't get up in the attic until the surgeon puts me back together again. I'm hoping for the first week in January, plus he says 6 weeks to recover, which I think means 3 weeks before I can climb up to the attic.

Does econo have a brand name?

This is good in the long run, but bad for me in the short run. I had planned to use this DVDR as my tuner for years to come, but now, unless the tune-in time gets much lower, I'm going to be very frustrated waiting for tune-in every time, or having to use the number buttons. I've only gotten two new tv's in my life. One was a premium for opening a bank account. It had loads of weaknesses, but I couldn't return it because they only had one model. Then it was stolen a couple months later. The other was an Akai or Aiwa, or something like that and broke 2 or 3 times, and much sooner than it should have.

My brother was very disappointed to find out that cable had commercials. I somehow found out before I paid for it. Motels or hospitals or something like that.

Add pictures here
✖

My ears are just sitting next to the TV at ground level. Window is nearby...in the direction of most broadcasts. If I turn the amplification off I get almost nothing. I hope that means there's hope on your end. It's an econo Phillips MANT510 I got at Wally World. States it works best within 20 miles. Most transmitters are like 40 air miles away according to antennaweb.org. Says it's 50dB amolification.

It's a $299 27" CRT RCA I got at some electronics chain like a year ago. Today, for 300 I could probably get an econo flat thingy.

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:50:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote Re 79 days left before the end of TV.:

I also live in a rural area. We moved here 23 years ago from California and found that we could only receive two broadcast stations. The reception was so bad we decided it wasn't worth bothering with; so we just left the TV off.
We turned to books and reading and haven't missed the TV in all this time. Now we get movies from Netflix, news and weather from the Internet and everything else from the library. We raised two children without TV and IMO they are better people for it.
Try using your mind instead. Or, if you can't do that then move to a city. We don't need mindless cry babies in rural areas. We have enough problems just getting a dial-tone on the phone.
Add pictures here
✖

Wow, I could have written that. 'Cept I'm still in California.
I do, however, have Dish Network and subscribe to movie channels only. If you buy your own equipment you can get access for $6/mo and with that you can subscribe to such movie channels as Encore for $5/mo for five channels or Cinemax or HBO for $12/mo. Total for five decent movie channels is $11/mo. Not only that but you also get NASA, Sky Angel, and a bunch of infommercial channels and home shopping channels and you can get the local weather. Plus you can watch Pay-Per-View if you so choose and can get a dial tone. They also have free preview channels occasionally and sometimes they are decent movie channels such as IFC, TCM, or Fox Movies. I think there is also a free Mexican and Chinese channel.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 1, 10:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Do you know they are broadcasting in digital yet, call the stations. Do you have a good outside antenna. CR reviewed digital boxes, the ones at stores have the worst picture only online can you get the better ones and prices are the same, I dont know if they affect reception.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 1, 10:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Antenna aiming is more critical with digital or at least different, I found my digital sweet spot quite a few degrees from the analog one. My experience is the opposite, my analog sucked, digital gives me a much better signal, and I'm in a fringe area. I'd spent so much trying to get the analog signal (big antenna, rotor, amplifier) that digital rolls right in.
Add pictures here
✖
"Eric in North TX" wrote

Same here. We got a box just on a whim as we have a 3rd older style TV used just for PS2 and other such ilk games. Got a box for almost nothing after the coupon as we'd heard there were local stations not on our cable TV and it was true. The reception isnt as good as the cable but it's not bad and we get 7 stations of which we have 3 we find useful (of the 4 we arent interested in, 2 seem mostly religion based and 2 we get via cable already).
BTW, I do not live in a rural area. I live in what is called 'Hampton Roads' (think Norfolk VA area and the 5 cities combined are called Hampton Roads).
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 2, 12:35�am, SteffanKing

.com:
call congress and COMPLAIN!
We have Satellite tv but my friends who watch just regular tv all report reception is poor.
the analog channels that were noisey, ghosty or snowey, arent viewable most of the time on digital.
in the carolinas a early stop of analog resulted in viewership decline of 20%
bad program, poorly implemented, a real congressional special:(
all it was about? $$$ to make the federal budget look better, without regard to american people.
the 40 buck boxes arent very good, and often require a outdoor antenna with rotor, which none of my friends want to deal with.
call your supposed congressional representives and complain loudly, and while you at it demand unbundling of cable and sat channels, so everyone can buy ala carte just the channels they want
Add pictures here
✖

Free-To-Air Satellite TV... http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Satellite-systems/FTA-Systems.htm
Free Satellite TV Channels... http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html
Add pictures here
✖

so the folks who dont want a TV antenna with rotor on their home wouldnt mind a 3 foot diameter dish with equatorial mount in their yard, and still no local channels?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:53:08 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Well maybe they can think of themselves as citizens of Ecuador.
Add pictures here
✖

How well does this stuff actually work above?
Do YOU use it?
Add pictures here
✖

I sure do. I have a 12 ft. motorized C/Ku dish and two smaller fixed Ku dishes. (Also Mercury II FTA receiver.)
It is quite difficult to align a motorized satellite dish to point at all the satellites as it rotates back and forth from horizon to horizon. This can take several days of making small adjustments to get it just right. Easier to get a fixed dish system to start and point at just one satellite.
Add pictures here
✖