79 days left before the end of TV.

Yes, same for me. I"m the last stop on the road.

I'm still collecting. I need a tv for every room, and one for watching outside while I fix the bike or lawnmower or something. Comes to 10 total. I still haven't got color in each room. Not the attic (where I only would watch an hour or two per year; or the spare bedroom (where I have a 9-inch B&W which fits in the speaker opening from a wind-up phonograph that I got after the guts had been removed), or the laundry room (where I really only listen to it and rarely look) or outside, where light-weight is the most important, since I take it in at the end of the day. The outside tv shouldn't need more than AC current, but I guess next spring, I'll have to run co-ax from a splitter or amp connected to the DVDR.

Reply to
mm

There are 10 or 20 percent or more that do, and that is still a large number of tvs. Plus a lot of people have cable or something but it isn't connected to the tv in the kitchen or the bathroom, and they'll buy a new tv to replace the one that doesn't work.

Maybe big expensive tv's will be on craig's list, but I don't have room or desire for big tv's anyhow. 19 inhces is my limit.

I find quite a few working tvs now. I'm sure there will be more right after the conversion.

I won't get around to looking there. But other people have benefitted from your post, I'm sure.

Reply to
mm

They have a series of things with a cutesy name that have co-ax input, from an antenna or cable, some with remote control and some with digital video recorder software for 80 to 150 iirc.

I saw one on sale at Staples or someplace on Thanksgiving weekend, but a( I didn't have time to check if it was the model I wanted. b) I still haven't connected my computer to my TVs, and I am willing to record via the computer, but I don't want to have to sit at my desk to watch the stuff.

Reply to
mm

Your second jab in one thread. Why can't we have a technical discussion without bringing in politics?

Lots of NPR programs have nothing to do with politics or anything liberal or conservative.

And all of it is better than Limbaugh and Hannedy. Surely you don't listen to those.

Reply to
mm

If people don't know about this by now, well, I don't know what to say about them.

Reply to
mm

Well, I have never bought any software. I use freeware, or what friends, family and my employer have given to me when they upgrade.

I built my current computer for $325.00 2 yrs ago, and I have 3 very nice 19" CRT monitors that I got from my employer when they went to flat panels.

Also, got Windows 2K Pro and XP Pro for free. (just got the XP a couple of months ago when my employer went to Vista)

Reply to
Ron

I don't know about the percentage, but isn't that the reason they came out with the converter boxes? And who in the world has cable, but has a TV in the kitchen and bathroom that isn't connected to cable? I've never seen such a thing. I have a TV in my kitchen that is connected to cable...why use an ant? And people that have a TV in a BR, are just plain weird, IMO. I go to the BR to do three things, and none of the 3 are to watch TV.

What does your room and desires, have to do with people throwing away perfecting working NTSC TVs between Christmas and March?

According to your claims, they will be on the sidewalks and next to dumpsters, regardless of size....If that's true, I guess I'm gonna be cruising the roads, very soon.

Reply to
Ron

"aem sends".... ! Haven't seen that used that way in many a year. That tells me you are a "Telecommunicator" of the old school; either government or military.

Having at least one TV around the house was always good; for emergency purposes if nothing else. I suppose that purpose fades with the disappearance of local broadcasting. Of course broadcast radio remains (if they could stop their commercials long enough to send word out that NuclearWar had just begun in Wash., D.C., NYC and LA !!)

McDave ============================

Reply to
Nixon.D

Yes. Those are about the only channels I watch; or I'll watch CSPAN if I just happen to catch them in a live committee-hearning situation on a subject that interests me. I missed that Einstein show you mention. Wish I had known about it. McDave ===================================

Reply to
Nixon.D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D

If a nuclear war were to begin, I don't think NYC or Los Angeles would be on the list....unless you meant Louisiana?

Reply to
Ron

My Hauppenpauge tuner is working with an attic antenna only, no cable. It comes with software, although poorly written, that will record programs (weekly, daily or one-time). It picks up high definition. The tuner card has absolutely nothing to do with the Internet, so it doesn't matter if you have DSL, cable, dialup, or no Internet at all. You can get an off-brand tuner card for as little as $20. There are tiny USB versions for laptop PCs or full-featured tuner cards. Tuner cards do produce heat, so make sure your PC has proper ventilation.

Reply to
Phisherman

You can believe the world is 6,000 years old if you want.

Reply to
Phisherman

One can believe in scientific models of the evolution of the universe including the development of sentient life and also disagree strongly w/ NPR's political pov and reporting slant... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gh52js$ebd$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Then listen to Fox or CNN. Doesn't matter to me.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

the national geographic channel is wonderful, air emergency, seconds to disaster, and my new favorite show fixing big things.

tonights new episode is a new engine being installed in a cruise ship, had one episode where a 747 gets disassembled to replace the pressure bulkhead, and another showing how high tension lines are serviced with the power on

Reply to
hallerb

if enough voters call and complain the changeover will get delayed a few years.

a major advertiser is political adds, congress needs your eyeballs on that screen, to get re elected

Reply to
hallerb

You're the one asking for tech discussion without politics. Do I hear some hypocricy?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I sure do. I have a 12 ft. motorized C/Ku dish and two smaller fixed Ku dishes. (Also Mercury II FTA receiver.)

It is quite difficult to align a motorized satellite dish to point at all the satellites as it rotates back and forth from horizon to horizon. This can take several days of making small adjustments to get it just right. Easier to get a fixed dish system to start and point at just one satellite.

Reply to
Bill

Too late, it has already been delayed a couple of times. Now all the expensive equipment is in place, there is pressure to get a good emergency communications system up and running and they need some of the bands this will free up to do so.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: | if enough voters call and complain the changeover will get delayed a | few years. | | a major advertiser is political adds, congress needs your eyeballs on | that screen, to get re elected

Reply to
Joan F (MI)

On 12/1/2008 9:37 PM Red Green spake thus:

Not true here, at least (S.F. Bay Area); I get all the analog stations with my little converter box.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl