Subject Author Posted Replies

How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?
I'm not sure WHERE to ask this, but, how does a wet cloth work in an airplane crash anyway? In step 3 at 45 seconds into this video shows it in use: What's the wet cloth (scientifically) doing?
146
146

XP question
I know this is OT but we seemed to have collected some XP guys here Is there a way to associate an input device to a particular window? In this case I would like to keep a numeric pad associated to my...
55
55

Changing "File View" Defaults in Windows 2000
I need Windows Explorer to show details. When I turn off the PC, next time I turn it on, it is automatically reset to showing icons. Anyone know a way to change the default view so that I can avoid...
5
5

Dept of Agriculture Orders Submachine Guns with 30 Round Magazines
Per That's the photo that, years ago, got me thinking that the USA was drifting towards becoming a police state. The one saving grace - that I did not get from the copy shown in the newspaper I read -...
10
10

This NG is a hoot!
I've never seen so many old cranks in any other NG. What is even more interesting is that one can discern from the posting time of responses that most of you old mos must spend a large part of your...
71
71

Glary Free File Recovery Giveaway (2023 Update)
Glarysoft is giving away a program called "Amazing Dr. Recovery 3.1" on their web site at: 'Giveaway - Glarysoft' ( The download is a .ZIP file of about 4.5 Megabytes. You unzip it to create a folder...
13
13

Predictions on all the freon leaked out and need AC system replaced
A couple minutes ago, I got a call from a man I know from church. He said a company came out to do the annual AC check over. They say that the system had all the freon leaked out, and the system is...
82
82

Windows XP updates
They may not be making any new updates but all the old ones are still available . Just did a clean install of XP Pro on one of my machines , it's D/L-ing and installing 137 items as I type .
19
19

OT: Global warming hoax exposed
and and many others have us upset... BUT ...fortunately our elected representatives are on top of this situation: HB Increasingly, it appears that if there is any systemic bias in climate models,...
25
25

OT Duplicate car key?
I have a Nissan Versa 2012 Standard Edition purchased used with only one key and fob. I'd like to get a duplicate key "The key for that vehicle runs $48.82 plus $50.00 to program all existing keys and...
30
30

Russia to evict NASA from the International Space Station in 2020 in retalition for US sanctions
Did you even know that Russia was launching some of your military satellites? Well, you boxed yourselves into this mess, with a long series of bad decisions and mentally retarded foreign policies and...
3
3

OT, Two boys seriously injured when bounce house is blown into the air by wind
Holy cow! Even those things you expect to be completely safe for children to romp around in, can be dangerous. o_O TDD TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
3
3

Dont install Vinyl Siding
Recently there was a huge fire in a city near my home. I saw it on TV, and I drove past the remains today. The old 2 story business with 5 apartments on the second floor (The building where the fire...
26
26

Dental floss
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited. I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites l isting scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing...
25
25

OT Cars, Radiator, Oil Cooler, Honda,
Friday maybe, on the People's Court, a transmission mechanic said that the customer's car had leaked at the engine thermostat, he'd lost a lot of antifreeze, and the antifreeze cooled the transmisson...
10
10