Subject Author Posted Replies

Creating a boiler room?
In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors at the store that have a number of hour ratings. 1....
6
6

Any experience with borate rods to stop wood rot?
I've got four large (4 x 16) fir beams and have repaired the rot with epoxy. But I wondered if if might be a good idea to drill holes in the beams for borate rods in the hope of preventing the rot...
4
4

Telehone troubles.
For several days, people have had a hard time calling me. The phone rings a bit then changes to a busy signal. Or once it sounded like someone answers and then drops the phone Then two days ago, I...
9
9

Anyone familiar with First Alert OneLink detectors?
Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices. All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one...
9
9

OT: number pronunciations
NO NEED TO REPLY TO THIS POST. IT'S JUST AN FYI... a "curiosity" I've been surveying friends and colleagues to determine how they pronounce "strings of digits" (numbers) -- with an eye towards coming...
4
4

TV turns itself off & on ..
I may be wrong for how long, but think it is a year. Anyway , after a certain ammount of time the cable company will charge a $ 2.75 a month for each device. Bad thing about it will not give all the...
81
81

Step Climbing Powered Lifts For Help In Going From One Level To Another ?
Hello, Figured some of you folks would have opinions on this. Sr. Citizen kinda question. Regarding those powered stair climbing lifts/seats to help an individual go from one level to another: I see...
19
19

Hot tub electrical question
First off, don't worry, I plan to hire an electrician since I'm not comfort able messing with the main breaker box. I just want to know about feasibili ty and difficulty (or ease) of this proposition...
26
26

New toy
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on the joint to be glued, then zap it for three...
19
19

Why won't ship screwdrivers to a home,
Why do you suppose Ace won't ship these screwdrivers to a home, like they do with lots of other stuff, See the text under Free Pickup at your local Ace Check Availability Also the Shipping tab a...
10
10

Basement wet bar: wiring and circuit questions
Hi, I'm planning a wet bar in finishing my basement. It will have a counter with a sink. No provision for a stove, nor automatic dishwasher. It will need a greywater pump under the sink because I'm...
25
25

GE Gas Dryer Not Heating
I bought this dryer new 20 years ago and it's been unbelievably good ever since. Tonight, I threw a normal load of clothes in. It's turning and air blowing like normal, but not heating. Tried changing...
15
15

Cleaning Gunk From Bearings: What To Use ?
Hello, Trying to get the gunk and dried up grease out of motor bearings. Unit is eons old, and armature won't turn easily anymore. Tried Liquid Wrench, and also soaking in gasoline. Neither seems to...
9
9

For Any "Motor Expert"
Hello, Not a motor expert, but just very curious, and would like to learn. Have a home food blender. Works on regular wall outlet. Motor has armature windings. Also has field (stator) windings. Also...
8
8

Should I seal the ends of large fir beams?
I have four 16x4 fir beams sticking out of the side of my house. I'm in the process of "renewing" them, which includes cutting them back a bit. So I end up with a new end, and I wondered what if...
1
1