Telehone troubles.

For several days, people have had a hard time calling me. The phone rings a bit then changes to a busy signal. Or once it sounded like someone answers and then drops the phone

Then two days ago, I couldn't call out either. No dial tone.

But the DSL internet has worked the whole time.

Twice checking the NID, I got a dial tone.

In the last 36 hours, to fix my telephone, I replaced the phone, the cord, the DSL filter, disconnected the main wire from the rest of the house, and fiddled with the NID outside. Replacing the one-piece, all-plastic, Y-connector for the phone line enabled me to place calls again, even though I'm looking at it and it looks fine, and I'd used it for years. But receiving calls still had the same problems. I test by calling myself with Skype.

Once last night I called myself with Skype and the phone rang several times and the phone machine (not voicemail) answered. . But then receiving calls stopped working again. Then once today, the phone rang twice at normal volume, but the phone machine didn't answer.

Now it's back to the way it was. When people call me, it barely chirps and if I don't answer in what would be two rings, it gives them a busy signal.

I've replaced everything that distinguishes the phone line from the DSL line.

Could the DSL modem be messing up the phone, even though the phone signal does not really go *through* the modem? It only touches the modem input . That is, the phone line input and the phone output are both in the same side of modular Y-connector, which plugs into the DSL modem.

That is, the phone line from the NID goes straight to one of the two "outputs" of a modular Y-connector. The "input" is plugged into the DSL modem, and the other output goes to the telephone, via a DSL filter, a cord, and a phone. I've exchanged the last 3 things and the Y connector. What's left to replace?

Reply to
micky

Maybe there's a problem between your house and the pole the wires are connected to? Squirrels may be chewing on the lines, and/or water could be getting into the wires, or even there could be problems up the lines between you and the hub station (if that's what it's called)?

Reply to
Muggles

Have you called the phone company and asked them to check the line? They can do that while you hold and it costs nothing.

Lasst time I thought I had a problem, it was the line a couple of blocks from my house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ah, but was there *battery* on the line? I.e., if the telco thinks your line is "off hook", you won't get a dialtone -- and it will "ring busy".

Did you have any recent (electrical) storm activity? Are your services above or below grade? A protection device can fail and look like a load on your line (your phone, when off hook, looks like a load -- so, anything that looks like a load or imbalance can make the telco think you are off hook)

Disconnect the house at the network interface. Plug a (good) phone into the interface so *all* that is on the line is that phone (none of your "customer supplied equipment" *or* wiring).

See if folks can ring you successfully in that configuration.

Reconnect your "house" and have the telco run a test of the line. If it shows an imbalance, partial short, etc. you can then isolate the house (again) and repeat the test.

You *don't* want them to come out and deal with a problem INSIDE your house -- they will charge you for that. OTOH, if there is a problem UP TO the network interface then it's their problem.

I had a problem in one rental property where the phone line was laying on a hot air duct. Over time, the insulation failed and it looked like a partial short. Enough to render the line inoperative. But, with the house "disconnected" from the network interface, the line tested good.

"We can send someone out to check the (inside) line for you..." "Um, no thanks! I can do that!"

Reply to
Don Y

Yeah, I did that and they didn't find anything. They wanted to come out on a day that I wouldn't be there.

What does it mean that the internet works but not the phone? Can that still be a block away?

Reply to
micky

Think about it. Your phone is (seems to be) "busy" -- as far as callers are concerned (more or less). The CO won't ring your phone because it (probably!) thinks you are ON the phone (you would have to measure the line voltage and polarity to know this for sure).

Now, pretend this was last week (or last month). *If* you were "on the phone", wouldn't your internet (DSL) connection STILL WORK? Yet, if folks tried to CALL you while you were on the phone, it wouldn't ring through.

I.e., the DSL function and the POTS function are independant (unless your line is shorted or open -- in which case, both are toast).

Reply to
Don Y

do you ave a answering machine? unplug it and see if the problem goes way.

actually the best test is this.

unplug home at nid, run a cheap brand new 25 foor cable from nid to indoors and see if your problem, run wire in thru a window.

if the phone now works, the problem is your indoor wiring.

if it fails to work, its the phone companies problem

phone reps always blame your indoor wiring

things that cause phone troubles like your having.

old wiring from central office to your home. rain water shorting things somewhere

phone companies arent spending much money to maintain the copper infrastructure. they just want profit, service comes last......

Reply to
bob haller

If you believe that all your home telephone gear and wiring is in good shape consider opening a trouble ticket with your telco.

I've had similar problems in the past with my DSL line and it turned out to be a bad line card at the central office.

Good luck, Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

From what we've heard so far, that would be the logical step. And if they need to come out, be there, with a test phone in hand.

Reply to
trader_4

+1 what the others said

connect a good phone out at the NID with ___nothing else____ connected

if that works, then the problem is in your house

if that doesn't work, the problem is in the phone company stuff

Mark

Reply to
makolber