Why won't ship screwdrivers to a home,

Why do you suppose Ace won't ship these screwdrivers to a home, like they do with lots of other stuff,

See the text under Free Pickup at your local Ace Check Availability

Also the Shipping tab a little below that.

micky

WTF? Does Ace need to do a background check before they sell those? Does a tradesman need a carry permit?

Reply to
look

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 05:14:32 -0400, look wrote in

It looks like other screwdrives that Ace sells are available for ship to home.

My guess is that most products sold by Ace, are actually shipped by the manufacturer. Some manufacturers may not ship to home. In that case, buy someplace else.

Reply to
CRNG

Those are deadly weapons and the store needs to check you out to make sure you're not a terrorist. You can avoid the issue with:

A pink box cutter couldn't possibly be used for evil ends.

Or if you really want screwdrivers;

I think CRNG nailed it; so manufacturers don't do drop shipments.

Reply to
rbowman

+1

AFAICT, Ace doesn't *make* anything -- even the "Ace-branded" items that they sell. So, most probably arrange for the firm that *does* manufacture the items to do the drop shipments... either to their

*stores* or end users. This one probably doesn't want to deal with onesie-twosie shipments (to homes), just bulk shipments (to stores).
Reply to
Don Y

Yes, I think you guys explained it.

Last week I bought an outlet strip, with 11 receptacles including room for wall-warts. And the one I wanted was on the Home Depot site, and it had Ship-to-Store, for free. So I did. I thought it would come from an HD warehous, or from some other warehouse with a bulk shipment to an HD shipping location. But instead it came from some warehouse direct to my local HD via UPS. Individually wrapped.

Apparently this is not true about Amazon, but wrt HD, Walmart, etc, now that everybody sells everything, I have a feeling they all share one big warehouse and use the computer to keep track of who sold what. I don't know how that would work with shoplifting in the warehouse, however. Who would take the loss for that?

Reply to
micky

Good point.

BTW, speaking of pink, why were the Indiana University football players wearing pink booties in their last game.

Reply to
micky

I knew that. That's why now everyone has to pay sales tax at the time of purchase on Amazon.

I meant that based on video on the news of how things work at their warehouses, they're not sharing space with Walmart or Home Depot, who I speculate might be sharing space with each other, or using the same warehouse.

I guess maybe I shoudln't have said everyone.

Reply to
micky

Sales tax? Unless they're hiding it I'm not paying it. If you want to commit political suicide in this state just whisper 'sales tax'.

Reply to
rbowman

I think the law only requires businesses "having a presence" in a state to collect sales taxes from sales *in* that state. Some firms may *opt* to collect the appropriate sales tax -- and remit it to the corresponding state(s) -- but, AFAICT, they are not *required* to do so. ISTM that MS collected sales taxes for all purchases even though they may not have had a "presence" in the state.

Also, these are typically only *state* sales taxes. Here, for example, we have county and city sales taxes. AFAICT, there are no requirements that these be collected by these firms.

So, an online purchase can still be a net tax savings even if state taxes are tacked onto your order.

Of course, IANAL (thank god!) so YMMV

Reply to
Don Y

Well, if the state doesn't have sales tax, Amazon doesn't collect it.

Or maybe it does, but it's hard to tell.

Reply to
micky