4x12 drywall in a pickup truck?

I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10 sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about 80lbs...is that right?
The slightest bend and the tailgate will never close right again. How much is that worth to you? I'd rent a trailer or move it in 2 or more trips.
-rev
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Just buy 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. 4x12 sheets are such a pain to work with anyway, that I'd much rather mud an extra joint or two and use the 4x10's
Just buy 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. 4x12 sheets are such a pain to work with anyway, that I'd much rather mud an extra joint or two and use the 4x10's

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How about laying about 3 planks(2x4x6-8-10) in the bed extend them out the two feet and lay the drywall sheets on them that way sheets are supported the full 12 feet. Jack

That's the way I'd do it, even support.
Don't forget to tie the sheets to the truck as they have a habit of sliding out the back onto the road when you pull away at a traffic light, especially with an overhang. Tie them to the top of the front of the bed and around down under onto the chassis a couple of times to keep all movement contained.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

About--a little over, methinks, but not much.
Doable if short distance and can be real careful on the road, but the better way would be to use several tubah-X's (and optionally a piece of ply on top for a nice smooth surface) to make a temporary bed extender so the ends are supported rather than hanging free. It's well within the load range of a full-size pu (even if it is a Ford :) ) and the amount of load on the tailgate if supported as above isn't excessive as long as you don't go pounding it up and down.
As someone else noted, 12-footers are a real pita to handle as they're so long and flexible it takes some real careful handling to keep them from breaking in the middle even just getting them onto a lift. Overhead w/o a lift is absolutely impossible (no cobbled-up 't-bracket' is going to be adequate as you can get by w/ on 8- or even w/ care, 10-ft). Even going on a wall you have to be very careful when cutting to not let the middle be unsupported and let it tilt towards level too far while you and a buddy are holding the ends or snap!!!

Short distance, smooth road, low speed, no problem.
Longer distance, bumpy roads, high speed, buy a few 2X4s to put under the DW. Don't forget to rig something to keep them from sliding out the back. DAMHIKT.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I would worry more about them sliding out the back than anything else. Many, many years ago, I drove out from under 30 sheets, which landed in the middle of a busy intersection. Only broke the corner of the bottom two sheets, and landed as if they had been stacked there. I blocked traffic in both directions while I reloaded them into the truck (and NOONE stopped to help). Now I tie them in even if I am just going across the street.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Was that you? Next time wave and I'll stop. Honest.
Don't forget to rig something to keep them from sliding out

Nowadays if you slide a small sheet along the highway the hazmat people will probably have to come out and close the roadway. Close it at least long enough so they can analyze the offending item. Crazy!!
Ivan Vegvary
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There is no problem, assuming that you have a real 150 and not a show dog like the F150 Harley Davidson. The 2 foot over hang won't have any negative effect on the drywall or the tailgate.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I suppose you could do it that way if you ignore the chance of the last 2 feet of the bottom sheet(s) snapping off when you hit a bump. If not using 2 bys or boards under the load, at least strap the overhang together.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Yeah! I assumed that the truck had springs and shocks and the driver would be careful and avoid hitting big bumps. It would take a hell of a bump to snap the last two feet off. But if one were worried about that, the best way would be to put five foot long' 2x4s crosswise to the sheet, one under and one over, to the sheets and located 1' past the open tailgate, and bind the ends together with rope on each end. Ten sheets bound together would never snap unless one hit a bump that would raise the whole load up 2-3 feet above the pickup bed, but one would have more serious problems than snapping the ends of the sheets off. Cheers.
On 28 Aug 2006 06:21:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber9168