4x12 drywall in a pickup truck?

I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10 sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about

80lbs...is that right?
Reply to
beerguzzler50

The slightest bend and the tailgate will never close right again. How much is that worth to you? I'd rent a trailer or move it in 2 or more trips.

-rev

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Just buy 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. 4x12 sheets are such a pain to work with anyway, that I'd much rather mud an extra joint or two and use the

4x10's
Reply to
jaymay75

Just buy 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. 4x12 sheets are such a pain to work with anyway, that I'd much rather mud an extra joint or two and use the

4x10's
Reply to
jaymay75

How about laying about 3 planks(2x4x6-8-10) in the bed extend them out the two feet and lay the drywall sheets on them that way sheets are supported the full 12 feet. Jack

Reply to
Jack

About--a little over, methinks, but not much.

Doable if short distance and can be real careful on the road, but the better way would be to use several tubah-X's (and optionally a piece of ply on top for a nice smooth surface) to make a temporary bed extender so the ends are supported rather than hanging free. It's well within the load range of a full-size pu (even if it is a Ford :) ) and the amount of load on the tailgate if supported as above isn't excessive as long as you don't go pounding it up and down.

As someone else noted, 12-footers are a real pita to handle as they're so long and flexible it takes some real careful handling to keep them from breaking in the middle even just getting them onto a lift. Overhead w/o a lift is absolutely impossible (no cobbled-up 't-bracket' is going to be adequate as you can get by w/ on 8- or even w/ care,

10-ft). Even going on a wall you have to be very careful when cutting to not let the middle be unsupported and let it tilt towards level too far while you and a buddy are holding the ends or snap!!!
Reply to
dpb

That's the way I'd do it, even support.

Reply to
Phisherman

Short distance, smooth road, low speed, no problem.

Longer distance, bumpy roads, high speed, buy a few 2X4s to put under the DW. Don't forget to rig something to keep them from sliding out the back. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
lwasserm

My thoughts exactly. I would worry more about them sliding out the back than anything else. Many, many years ago, I drove out from under 30 sheets, which landed in the middle of a busy intersection. Only broke the corner of the bottom two sheets, and landed as if they had been stacked there. I blocked traffic in both directions while I reloaded them into the truck (and NOONE stopped to help). Now I tie them in even if I am just going across the street.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Was that you? Next time wave and I'll stop. Honest.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There is no problem, assuming that you have a real

150 and not a show dog like the F150 Harley Davidson. The 2 foot over hang won't have any negative effect on the drywall or the tailgate.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

???????????????? NEVER had a problem with using the tailgate to support drywall. Of course they were all Chevy's, not Fords.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Don't forget to rig something to keep them from sliding out

Nowadays if you slide a small sheet along the highway the hazmat people will probably have to come out and close the roadway. Close it at least long enough so they can analyze the offending item. Crazy!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I suppose you could do it that way if you ignore the chance of the last

2 feet of the bottom sheet(s) snapping off when you hit a bump. If not using 2 bys or boards under the load, at least strap the overhang together.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Jerry

Yeah! I assumed that the truck had springs and shocks and the driver would be careful and avoid hitting big bumps. It would take a hell of a bump to snap the last two feet off. But if one were worried about that, the best way would be to put five foot long' 2x4s crosswise to the sheet, one under and one over, to the sheets and located 1' past the open tailgate, and bind the ends together with rope on each end. Ten sheets bound together would never snap unless one hit a bump that would raise the whole load up 2-3 feet above the pickup bed, but one would have more serious problems than snapping the ends of the sheets off. Cheers.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

replying to EXT, Joe wrote: Haha happened to me in the middle of an intersection luckily only 6 sheets and another helper in the truck. Back loaded in 6 minutes but broke 2 panels.

Reply to
Joe