3 year old 32 inch Sony TV died!???

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 05:04:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote:

I feel I should avoid Sony (a feeling that got stronger after hearing about what they did with their music CDs last year).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mark D) wrote:

Sorry for the bad luck. May or may not be luck of the draw.
I have a 1986 20 Sony Trinitron still running great. I had one repair on a 1992 32 Sony tho. It too is still working fine.
I have no idea of current brand qualities tho, including Sony.
I will not be in the market till my current analogs (4, 3 of which are Sonys, the 3rd Sony a cheapie 27 inch 1998 model) die (on cable and HD not an issue).
Morenuf
--
snipped-for-privacy@nobodyhome.com.invalid

I think Sony's quality control went to hell in the latter half of the 1990s. They had lost a lot of market share to cheaper brands and no longer had much in the way of unique consumer products, so they cut costs by cutting corners on the manufacture of overly complicated designs. The result: poor reliability and short life.
Sony TVs still have the best picture quality in the business. Too bad they don't last.
clipped

Oh ... I almost forgot what brand my sick, five year old comp. monitor is. Got the deluxe brand for size and doing computer graphics. It behaves like it is ready to blow up. Flashes wierd color, fades to almost no contrast. Never saw one behave like this one. When it dies, the brand-name computer goes to the dumpster with it. My first computer was top of the line - Micron - but sadly they don't make PC's any more. Mebbe they will when the landfill is full of Dell's and there ain't any more room :o) My 1984 Micron ran circles around my speedo-on-valium.
Looks to me that you just learned that Sony makes crap these days. Samsung is really much better.

The monitor I'm using right now is a LCD monitor with the never-heard-before brand name of "Balance". I've had it over a year, and it's still working properly.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
You guys might also might like to know that in the interest of keeping lead pollution down electronic manufacturers are being "forced" to use solder with much lower lead content. As a result solder joints fail inside 3-4 years. Of course its not all joints, just enough to stop the device working!
Note that I dont have a reference/URL for this. It was one of thos "heard about" things since I use to work in that area. I think there was a comment from Nokia that said they werent worried because the user life of their phones never reached the MTBF point.
Cheers Bob
Mark D wrote:

Bob Bob wrote:

Soldering does not require lead to work. If they can't solder without lead, then they were probably sloppy with it.
There are simply a lot of low quality electronic components coming out of asia these days. Some however, are not low quality.
Personally I had sony everything since 1988. Put a sony receiver and CD player in my truch in 1996. The CD player started to skip at times I thought it shouldnt, and the tape deck on the receiver went sour. I have a surround sound stereo in my house that has always worked. But after so long I begin to question the quality of the way it divides the sounds between the speakers. I have a sony DVD player that has trouble with minor scratches.
One way or another, I am done with Sony. My new Receiver is an Integra. Im looking for alternate brands everywhere else. I guess Sony got on the cost cutting bandwagon...

--
Thank you,

I saw that in a magazine once, but don't remember WHICH magazine, except that it was one that doesn't usually publish unverified statements.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:37:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mark D) wrote:

It looks like I won't either. Won't buy any RCA or GE either.
I used to use RCA (because of a relative who did, I guess they were good once). Never again. They fail quickly. The last TV I bought is Sanyo.
Is any brand any good?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
It looks like I won't either. Won't buy any RCA or GE either. I used to use RCA (because of a relative who did, I guess they were good once). Never again. They fail quickly. The last TV I bought is Sanyo. Is any brand any good? =====================================For a high end TV some like Loewe, and Proton. but I reckon just because one shells out big $$$$ for a TV doesn't necessarily insure longevity, or lack of bugs. Buying any TV brand IMO is essentially a crap shoot now days.
Many of the top of the line Sony's I've found have problems reproducting anything less than an absolute perfect DVD input Signal. Digital Dish, and VCR Tapes are reproduced poorly. That was one of my personal dislikes with Sony.
With a Sony Digital Dish, many movies looked like I was watching a dubbed Chinese Kung Fu Movie. The lips moved, and it appeared the voices didn't match! lol Something no doubt attributable to Sony's Velocity Scan Modulation.
Sanyo, yeah great brand for the buck (Same with Samsung). Naturally, they don't have as many on screen fancy adjustments, bells, and whistles as a Sony, nor as good a picture all things being equal, but at least with something like a $200 27" Flat Screen Sanyo, and it poops out after 2-3 years, you don't feel like commiting Hari Kari when the TV has to hit the Garbage Dump.
I think with any costly Sony, or other high priced brand TV (32-36-40-wide screens-HDTV etc) exceeding $600-$700, a wise investment is an extended warrantee. Mark
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:46:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mark D) wrote:

I've heard that before. Big-screen TVs are one of the few things it can be worthwhile to buy an extended warranty for.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Hey Mark
I doubt whether any "big brand" is any better than another nowadays. If one of them lowers their MTBF it will be for a cost saving that others will follow. IMO the only way to now get "big brand" longevity is to maybe buy their $$$ commercial/broadcast products. Sony commercial gear is very rugged and reliable. (Was involved in an OB truck project some years ago. Even the TV monitor chassis were real solid)
It's all the consumers fault <grin> never wanting to pay a high price for anything!
Cheers Bob
Mark Lloyd wrote:

wlwallick wrote:

They're either or cons or gross incompetents.
Ask in sci.electronics.repair, and post the model number. Sound without picture is often due to a blown horizontal output transistor, which not only drives the circuit that sweeps the electron beams but also generates several voltages, including the 30,000V for the 2nd anode, voltages for the electron guns, and even the CRT heater. If bad, also replace any damper diode (necessary only if not built into the transistor) and nearby small, high voltage capacitors. This transistor is the largest one in the TV and likely mounted on the largest heatsink. Authorized parts distributors may charge 2-3 times what a place like www.mcminone.com does. Do you have any friends who know how to work on electronics?
wlwallick wrote:

as far as flat panels (LCD) are concerned, Samsung has been the reigning champion for the last 5+ years in computers. This might extend to televisions as well.
--
Thank you,