240 Wall Oven

I just got a electric double wall oven to replace a gas one. I'm told that it draws 30 amps by GE I have a roll of 10/3 wire copper is this suitable. I need to run about 50ft to the panel and have a spare 30 in the panel. The unit says 120/240v -- 120/208v the pigtail on the unit is bx white red black and ground and says 600v -- Confused ! Thanks for any insight
Woody

I hope you won't take this the wrong way... The wire is exactly what you want, but if you have to ask this question I sure wouldn't want you putting a circuit in my house. Is the breaker a 240v?
hello Toller Yes its a 240v breaker, my reason for asking as 2 different so called electricians have told me differant things . One said 10/3 and the other said 12
Toller wrote:

Now, he's got me worried too. He has a roll of 10 gauge but is worried if he should use 12 instead as suggested by an electrician?

But he said it "draws" 30A. That needs to be clarified also as opposed to needing a 30A breaker. I think he needs professional help and not from the one electrician.

The 600v in the insulation rating on the wires. This is normal. You DON'T use it with 600V. The other numbers are what voltages the oven will actually work on.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

If the unit draws 30 amps, you need a wire and breaker to handle at least 40 amp. Code is an 85% load actual on a circuit. That 30A breaker will pop all the time. Sounds like you need to run 8GA and a 40A breaker.

Actually, it's 80%, and that applies only to continuous loads (which is defined as maximum current for 3 hours or more).
But I agree that if the oven actually draws 30A, it should be on a 40A circuit with 8gauge wire.
To the OP: If the oven says it needs a 30A circuit, then the 10gauge wire and 30A breaker you have are fine. "Needs a 30A circuit" and "draws 30A" are not the same. If you don't understand the difference, you should not be attempting to do this yourself.
Oh, and the guy who said you could use 12gauge wire? He's dead wrong. Don't let him anywhere near your wiring. And don't take his advice, either, without checking it out first with someone who actually knows about this stuff -- he doesn't.
--
Regards,
Don't go by what someone told you as to the amps drawn. Personally I have never heard of a double oven that only drew 30 amps, a single oven - yes. The one I had needed a 50 amp breaker.

check the plate or the electrical requirements that came with the unit. the last few double ovens i hooked up required 40 amp circuit , not to say yours isnt a 30 amp requirment.