2 speed Hotpoint washing machine - only runs fast; ratchety

My ~20 year old 2 speed Hotpoint large capacity washer (in USA) runs at the fast speed even when set on the slow speed. It also often makes a ratchety sound that can sometimes be temporarily stopped by restarting. Don't know if the two problems are related.
Is there a clutch or some other replaceable part, or is it faulty electronics?
I've looked, but cannot find a model #. It has fake wood grain on the top of the back panel. It has a strange coupling device that is made of some flexible material that can handle the offset to the motor. I peered over the back and saw a wiring sticker with the number 143B8673P003, but there is no indication that it is the model number. (I plugged that number into a parts website and it didn't come up with a match.)
Also, I had to replace a leaking water pump a few years ago. Are there any other critical parts that could cause water damage that I should think about replacing?
Thanks
--Art
Art M wrote:

at the

ratchety
know if

top of

over the

is no

parts
there any

think about

Hi,
at the

Some have a 2 speed clutch.

know if

If this -IS- a 2 speed clutch, there should be a speed solenoid that stops 1/2 of the clutch from working for slow/lower speed. If the solenoid or solenoid arm is out of place the clutch shoes can hit or tick against the solenoid/solenoid arm and make a noise.

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.appliaqnceaid.com /
Thanks for the help