$199 Capet Instillation

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for $199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an adequate job?

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Carpet sellers do that sort of thing all the time. Personally, I'd not trust the big box stores to send the lowest bidder to my house to do work. I'd rather deal with a local seller that will stand behind his work.

They make enough money from the carpet, the padding, etc. to offer these deals. Look at the entire package. Compare prices. Check your local carpet or floor coverings dealer too and you may find them equal or better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What he said. It's a crapshoot with Home Depot, although in this market, there may be some good people now working out of HD. But there are also a lot of derelicts, fugitives, and aliens that will come into YOUR house. Every time I have shopped around, I could find the same thing at a regular retailer, and my wife was an interior designer for twenty years with all sorts of contacts. Prices are low now, and spending an extra $50 for a bonded installer isn't too much in my mind.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Six or seven years back, we did a recarpet project with Home Depot (EXPO). It was a disaster from the get-go-- double charging my credit card (I found that out when my card was declined entertaining 5 clients in an expensive restaurant!), mis-measuring, damaging the walls and doors....and the carpet raising up in ridges about 18 months later and them refusing to come fix it until I sicced my attorney on them.

And it still ain't right-- it's starting to ridge-up again in two places.

Sooooo-- if you want to go with the HD, ............

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

What he said. A Real Estate agent went to HD to order vinyl flooring, specific for the glue down type of material (on the order). The installers showed up with *tape down* vinyl material.

I would steer clear of anybody from Casa Depote.

Reply to
Oren

"Michael Dobony" wrote

Like others say, depends on the sub contractor. I am told (have not done mine yet) that the local Lowes is the one to avoid and the local Home Depot does a nice job. For a fee, they will shuffle all the furniture too but not my 70 gallon fish tank (wouldnt expect them or trust anyone with that beauty!).

We did our own job on the floor of the sunroom and it's nice enough but the livingroom will be a professional install when we have the money saved up.

Reply to
cshenk

Around here (Tucson AZ) they re advertising $ 139... Must be stiff competition

Reply to
Rudy

Laying carpet correctly is an art, but rocket surgery it ain't.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"cshenk" wrote in news:ds0kl.5700$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe17.iad:

It was a few yeas back but at that time, for some reason, most likely the hook. they charged 1 cent per piece of furniture moving (came to $1 total), 1 cent per sq yd to remove and 1 cent per sq yd to dispose of old carpet. The install was 5.75/sq yd. It's that 6 / half dozen thing.

Reply to
Red Green

You from Bastn? Having Capet installed?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just to follow up on what others have said about installers of anything from carpets to kitchens -- some good, some awful: I had ONE minor job done by HD on kitchen window, and they screwed up to badly that I will not use HD again. OK, irrational, but that's their loss for sending out unqualified people.

Same on anything, even hospitals, facrynoutloud! I was badly treated several times by one of the big local hospitals umtpy years ago, so I switched to the other. Now, #1 may have greatly improved in the meantime, and may even be better than #2, but I have no motivation to check them out. Caveat vendor

Reply to
Amiga

Just saw that here Friday. Could be the media/Barny Frank/Democrat-induced recession.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Michael Dobony wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Could be. And it could be the 139 hook includes even less than the 199 hook.

I caught one at some place at some time where there was free pull-up and haul away...but the fine print said there would be a dump disposal fee!

Reply to
Red Green

Well, I have no carpet to haul away and no furniture to move.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Lowes seems to subcontract to the cheapest labor to do the installwork. Probably never heard of the CRI 105 standard for carpet installation. Googling for 20 seconds comes up with plenty of examples like

duane.merrill

Mike I had 3 rooms with carpet and tile and 1 room with just carpet the bigger job was done by a small operator in my neighborhood and the

1 small room by a big box store I won't mention the name out of courtsey but Nascar Driver Jimmy Johnson loves them,but I digress,after the one room was done I had to call the small guy out to blend the carpet with the tile the Big Store said that was the best they could do with such a small space (bedroom,spare) the little guy spent about 15 Minutes and *Presto*the biggest surprise was he refused any money,he asked that I tell my friends and he was thirsty so a bottled water was his pay believe it or not that is what happened
Reply to
dirtyi.baker

installation quote for that. Total installed price was about $1,500 (I'd have to review the paperwork again to be sure). Seemed pricey to me.

Lowes quoted us 2 months ago and keeps calling us weekly! We haven't made a decision yet. We assume carpet prices will fall so we are waiting now for a sale or other better overall deal. A new flooring company just opened nearby so we're going to check them out plus a few other places.

Cheers! -- Rik

Reply to
Rik Brown