Subject Author Posted Replies

sump pump question
It appears as though mine has decided to run 24/7. Anything it could be that I might be able to take care of on my own, or should I just bite the bullet and call for a plumber.
11
11

Sandpaper grit needed
I will be painting a wrought iron fence that is already painted with no rust. What grit sandpaper should I use to prep the surface for adhesion of the new paint ? Thanks, Andy
13
13

How to ship a mirror?
I need a company to pickup, pack and ship a mirror from Tuscaloosa Alabama to central NJ. The mirror is about 5ft by 3 ft and the frame is about 2 1/2 inches thick. Total weight is about 80 pounds....
11
11

Heat Pump and Vacation Prep
Just bought a mobile home in FL to snowbird to. Wondering about the heat pump thermostat and the purpose of the emergency position. Also what is the best temperature to leave the cooling set to when...
2
2

OT Camping supplies and ammo
I am not saying we will need it, but having a stock of camping supplies and ammo seems like it may be a good thing to have on hand right now. Anyone tried any storable food they could eat everyday for...
8
8

Toro electric snowblower
I have a Toro 1800 power curve electric snowblower model 38025 that just quit. It has worked fine for 2 or 3 seasons but today it quit, blowing the circuit breaker with an accompanying burned wire...
3
3

Suggested needed to fabricate a water dam for a toilet/shower floor.
I have a tiny combination toilet and shower. There is a curtain to prevent splashing water from reaching the toilet area but there is nothing on the floor to restrict the water to the shower area. It...
4
4

Condensate leaking out of doorknob
My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are leaking condensate out on the cold side of the door. What can be done to stop this?
9
9

what is the differences between whole house surge protectors?
I want to put a whole house surge protector in my breaker box. It is a Siemens and I can use either a QSA2020 or a QSA2020TVSS. One is whole house secondary surge arrestor and one is a transient...
78
78

Electrical conduit coupling sticking out of the wall
I have a junction box on a wall where 3 parallel 1/2" rigid EMT conduits runs down to. For some reason the conduits all run to about 8" above the box, the electrician put in the EMT coupling and...
12
12

Increasing "downstream" work?
I have to rant. It seems like most of the tradesmen I talked to do not care about minimizing downstream headaches when doing their work. Example: I have a wall that is a 3/8" plaster on top of a 3/8"...
1
1

My drill seems to be losing power?
I have a Dewalt 12V cordless drill that I have been using and it has always worked fine for what I do. However, recently the battery pack is lasting shorter and shorter (I have two) and I think I...
21
21

Furring out a concrete wall by 2-1/2"
I have a 4" thick concrete block wall between my utility room and garage. Due to new plumbing (washing machine, laundry sink) and an adjacent half bath, I have two 2" PVC vent lines that runs up the...
6
6

Installing a new recessed light housing at locations I already have old housings
OK I have a tricky situation. I have to install quite a few recessed lights. Most of them I have accessed (ceiling down), some of them I do not. Of the ones I do not, some of them I need to drill...
6
6

Rust Destroyer, Ospho, or what?
Are any of so-called rust neutralizers effective at keeping rust at bay? Paint and hardware stores have suggested trying Rust Destroyer or Ospho to neutralize the rust. Another suggested Hammerite...
2
2