sump pump question

It appears as though mine has decided to run 24/7. Anything it could be that I might be able to take care of on my own, or should I just bite the bullet and call for a plumber.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You could buy a plug-in float switch.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

I would just get a new pump.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

I' d have to dig up the invoice, but it has to be at least 10 a years old.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Fix or replace the switch.

Reply to
Bob F

First, check to see that the float is not just gummed up with tree roots or mud or whatever. Have you checked to see if it still floats or sinks with the water level, and won't shut off even with the float hanging down?

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Check to see that nothing is holding the switch in the "on" position. Sometimes debris and cords can get in the way.

Depending on what type you have, new switches are readily available at most hardware stores and home centers, and they are easy to replace. They are usually less than $10. Unplug or turn off before replacing switch.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Yes. And yes.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Howdy,

About two years ago we had more than 18" of water in our basement because of a "stuck float."

Now, we have two pumps each with a switch that has no moving parts. The switches work like a charm.

Check

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Check valve?

Reply to
John

Over time a pump can shift position in the hole and the float switch could get hung up rubbing on the side and not come down. If you manually work the switch a few times does it shut off? If switch is not hung up then it sounds like the float switch went bad. I installed a Rigid pump that I like a lot, but this time I used a free- floating non-integrated switch. The old pump was a Zoeller that had an integrated switch and float, the switch went bad and the pump itself would shift every year and cause the float to hang/bang up on the wall. With a free-floating switch you can manually force the pump on at the outlet, and I like that feature over an integrated switch pump. A teathered free-floating swich cant get hung up on the wall when the pump shifts.

Reply to
RickH

?????? Why do you need to get the invoice to buy a new sump pump? If it is under warranty, like duh, the plumber will not fix it under warranty unless you show him the invoice! Even then, you may still have to pay for the labor. It isn't that difficult to replace the sump pump with a new one.

Reply to
Michael Dobony