Subject Author Posted Replies

Bathroom floor 1935 house
My bathroom floor is constructed as follows from the bottom up 2" X 8" joists 16" on center 3/4" X 7" boards running perpendicular to joists 1/2" x 7" boards running parallel to joists (very wavy)...
17
17

40+ year old pool deck (kool deck)
I have a REALLY old kool deck that is beyond repair. Massive cracks and chipping up everywhere. What I would like to do is to have it grind down (while the slope is maintained) and have tile put on. I...
3
3

Seal gutter seams?
Seamless alum. gutters were installed maybe 17 years ago on my little brick bungalow in midwest US. "Seamless" on the straight lengths. The corner pieces were sealed with something that looks like...
6
6

Alternative to "Great Stuff"
Hi, I once saw a link to a foam solution in a can, kind of like Great Stuff but it wasn't Great Stuff. For one it had a longer nozzle. I have to apply insulation where a Great Stuff nozzle just won't...
8
8

Leave an unplugged battery charger connected to lead-acid battery?
I posted a question in the newsgroup "" about recharging a lead-acid battery for an electric boat motor after returning from a boating/fishing trip. The original question was about whether it's okay...
30
30

Toilet Flange
The toilet was rocking and I found that the hold down bolts had disintegrated due to rust. After removing the toilet, I see that the flange is badly rusted too. As you can see, a piece of the hold...
7
7

OT What is the big deal about Hubble danger?
OT What is the big deal about Hubble danger? The news keeps talking about how dangerous the Hubble telescope repair is, and NASA set up a second shuttle on the launch pad right after the first one...
53
53

Craftsman garage door opener reset?
I just changed the plastic worm gear on my 1/2 hp, 12-year-old Craftsman garage door opener, and now the motor will only spin for a couple of seconds in one direction, then a couple of seconds in the...
1
1

VIOP
{snip} I just edited the subject line, Pat. Transposing letters in an acronym would make it less likely someone searching would find your post. R
26
26

How to fill gap in miter joint
The base molding (two inches high) at an inside corner has about a 1/8" gap at the inner edge (as though both miter angles are a few degrees less than 45 degrees). The mitered ends (along with the...
13
13

empty electrical box behind drywall
While finishing my basement, Can I place electrical boxes where I might want to place receptacles in the future ? Leave the cutout to the surface and "empty" conduit over to a live box. Then cover the...
25
25

Bradford White water heaters - Any good?
Several of the plumbers I called to replace my 50-gallon, gas heater will use Bradford White. Any comments about quality, reliability, etc.? Thanks, Ray
5
5

Drive dump truck over lawn?
I am getting 5 tons of modified (crushed) stone delivered via dump truck for a patio. I already have the area excavated, so most convenient would be for the truck to dump right in the hole...but would...
32
32

Cutting Bathroom Vanity Top
I need to cut about 3 inches from a BORG vanity top to reduce the width. I found this link on one way to do it, and was wondering if this will work or someone has a better way? I don't really want to...
4
4

closing the main water tub
Is it safe to close the main water tub in my home for 2 weeks? I am going out of town... I live the air conditioning on just in case the heat is to high... Botticelli
2
2