VIOP

I just switched to Vonage.

It's a mixed bag but seems to be getting better as I straighten out my problems. For me it was not as straight forward as I had hoped.

The sound quality at times is very good and at other times it is very poor. Seems like if my kid is playing a game on the internet and streaming video, the band width is sufficient but some dastardly firewall is slowing the packets down and causing sound problems. The firewall is built into the router and the router is not programmable because it's pretty old -- Verizon DSL estimates its 8 years old. That's the biggest issue but will be fixed in "2 to 3 business days" when the new router gets here.

The second sound issue came and went and I finally tracked it down to Carbonite. So I had to throw Carbonite into Low Priority mode. That seems to fix it.

So it's up and working. I guess my biggest issues are that I have the older router because I've had DSL for so long.

If it wasn't for those two issues, it would have been a much easier install.

Anyway, I thought I would throw it out there in case anyone else is considering switching. In the long term, I think it'll be good. In the short term, it could be an easy install but it was a on the tough side for me.

Good luck if you're trying it.

Reply to
Pat

{snip}

I just edited the subject line, Pat. Transposing letters in an acronym would make it less likely someone searching would find your post.

RicodJour

We have VOIP here. Our cable speeds are 8.5/2.6 Mbps.

We also have DSL from AT&T. It's about 750kpbs.

We use cable internet for regular stuff and the VOIP plugs into the DSL. We got the DSL when the cable went down for six days! Heck, man, we couldn't even buy stamps (although I did score a personal best at Solitare during that time).

Anyway, on the third day of cable outage, we signed up for DSL. We now have redundant capability - like having a spare tire.

In ordinary usage, nothing interferes with the VOIP connections. If the DSL goes down, we simply plug the VOIP input wire into our cable-connected router and we're back in business.

Reply to
HeyBub

You wear both a belt and suspenders. Am I right ? (G)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

A belt and a thong.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have FIOS with verizon.

The internet part has been rock solid.

unfortunately the phone service hasnt, and sadly verizon tech support sucks.

once with noise on incoming calls, which the first tech documented it took over 6 weeks and calling EVERY BUSINESS DAY FOR 3 WEEKS, and esclated to verizon presidents office, to say nothing of their refusing to put us back on copper, they futher refused to cancel the phone part which wasnt working because we were under contract.

I finally threated bto ngetn the mnedia involved when I found out the problem effected every FIOS customer in our central office.

Network techs foundn it was a noisey router but it took WEEKS:(

After that the battery in the brand new FIOS box failed, they wanted ME to mpay for it, I refused they finally did but it took 2 weeks, of the stupid box beeping alarm 24/7 they kept promising a battery in a few more days, I finally said if the battery isnt dropped at my door today I am canceling EVERYTHING VERIZON.

battery magically appeared......

then we have a large tree thats on a abandoned right of way left over when the homes were built in 1950. the tree is being supported by the main FIOS line./

its against their company policy to trim a tree, they wait till the line breaks then fix it.

verizon sent fios tv sales reps to my door, after the 3rd visit I showed him the tree, and meant it when I said the next saleasman is harrasement, I called the police and reported him, he lacked the solicitation permit, complained to verizon presidents office, and the daily phone calls finally stopped.

The mail contnues in bulk:( so just for the heck of it i am sending the marketing guy who signed the last flyer i letter about my crappy experience. i wonder if anyone will answere?

In october my contract is up:)

My one line will be a identi ring number on my existing copper line.

I will go elswehere for internet, or if I keep just the FIOS internet part will NEVER be under contract with them EVER!!

Reply to
bob haller

with nearly everyone having a cell phone how many really need a home line?

incidently vonage is the highest cost VOIP provider..........

other service providers charge less and perople appear happy.

Heck magic jack is basically free...........

Reply to
bob haller

I would find suspenders and a thong to be impressive. Just be careful doing jumping jacks.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

LMAO!

Reply to
Oren

I used to threaten nude jumping jacks when the boss assigned me a room-mate on out of town business trips. I always ended up with a single...

Reply to
HeyBub

In a true DISASTER a regular phone line will likely work.

Your cell phone is coded at activation as to access during emergencies.

Other than calling 911 a cell phone will likely go busy during a emergency so first responders can use their cell phones

Reply to
bob haller

I have had Vonage for 4 years now. Once in 4 years we were without Internet for a day. My cell phone worked fine that day. Also once during that time our power went out but I plugged in the generator and we had phone and internet. My Vonage bill is $20 a month because we pay for it a year at a time. The features you get with Vonage are great and land lines don't even come close to what they offer. I would never go back to a land line.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

That's okay. I have no desire to talk to anyone other than 911 during an emergency.

Reply to
HeyBub

We have one office land-line.

A couple of weeks ago we got a call from AT&T. They said they wanted to reduce our bill because they wanted to keep our business. "How much" I asked?

"For the services you currently get, your new monthly charge will be $24.00 (down from $60.00)."

"Well.... okay, we'll give it a try," said I.

Reply to
HeyBub

no interest in calling family or friends? check in with close family?

to each his own i guess..........

Reply to
bob haller

They were only doing that for a short time until someone realized the law of unintended consequences applied. What if you are trapped or had some valuable information or whatever and your phone doesn't work because of some prioritization scheme?

Thats why they need to use their own systems.

Reply to
George

I hate to tell you but in a large emergency the regular phone ;one may not be much good either! Why??? Because the system is not able to handle a large number of calls at once.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

LOL

Reply to
LouB

The cable here has battery backup at their node. It lasted 4 hours after a power failure. Then there was another 28 hours of it not working before they brought out a generator.

BTW, It can be really hard to use the keyboard with this cat "helping".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

In my 62 years on the earth I have really only seen that happen once when the "DC Midtown" exchange locked up, after the JFK assassination. My mom was still able to get a call through but it took over an hour to get dial tone. By then I had walked home :-(

Reply to
gfretwell