Subject Author Posted Replies

Advice for moss and algae on asphalt roof shingles
I had new roofing installed (GAF 50 year asphalt shingles) about 5 years ago. I've noticed that over the past year its started to develop growing moss and algae on certain sections which are...
28
28

When "no rules fools" buy a boat!
From time to time we see people here who do not like to follow rules... They don't want to get an electrical permit. They don't want to get a building permit. They don't want to be "told"...
20
20

gold color solder (jewelry repair)?
While shortening a gold-color chain bracelet for a friend I found the two O-shape end links can be bent opened fairly easily. I.e. if stretched, the link could turn to C shape and fall out. Is there...
8
8

PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT
My house gets too hot at night Should I raise or lower the "HEAT" set-point?
22
22

Storm Door Closer Problems
I installed a larson storm door in my house recently. I followed the instructions as mentioned in the installation guide and took measurements in a precise way and fitted the storm door. It was not...
1
1

Undersink water filter *without* faucet
I just moved into an older house with lead in the water. However, the kitchen sink was replaced recently and is uncontaminated. It's got very nice faucet fittings. I don't want to add a new...
8
8

Tool recommendation: Fastening to concrete block walls
Next phase of my project will involve a lot of fastening to concrete block walls. Such as copper pipe straps, PVC pipe straps, rigid electrical conduit straps, furring strips, formwork for patching,...
27
27

Better sales: Black Friday vs. 1/2/10 ?
Awl -- I'd guess 1/2/10+ would have the better sales, but don't know for sure. I'd guess the second week of January would be even better, from all the returns, etc. Inventory/selection...
7
7

Foundation moisture, quickie fix?
Awl -- English tudor house has a nice slate roof, but the overhang (eaves?) are minimal, subjecting the sides and the foundation of the house to considerable moisture when it rains. I've wanted to...
9
9

5 gal buckets stuck together....
Awl -- I live by 5 gal buckets -- at any given time, I have between 25 and 60, depending on how reliable neighbors are about returning them. :) Hammering them apart, tho, is a real pita. Sometimes you...
16
16

LED Christmas Lights
Does anybody know if the strings are supposed to stay lit if one goes out? I realize each LED has a huge life, but the contacts could fail. Thanks. Before I make the investment I want to know what I...
15
15

wrong fasteners in treated lumber
Greetings, If the wrong fasteners (common drywall screws) were used in treated lumber (post 2003 formula) what is the life expectancy of the fasteners? How long before they may corrode and fail? Thank...
18
18

What size ground wire?
Hello all, I need to convert a 50A 3-prong range receptacle to a 4-prong range receptacle, so I need to run a 50' ground wire from the receptacle to the ground buss. Can anyone tell me what size...
10
10

Steel wool and caulk or foam to plug holes under sink?
I've recently been visited by several mice, and after taking all the supplies out from under my kitchen sink, I noticed that that some of the steel wool that had placed there 20 years ago has been...
10
10

Adjustable sump pump switch assembly
Going to help some friends in Arkansa this weekend install some sump pumps. I am looking for ideas for an adjustable sump pump switch setup that one can adjust for different water levels, handle two...
6
6