Subject Author Posted Replies

Electrical help needed - valve actuators.
I have a 24 VAC transformer powering two Jandy pool valve actuators. I have both hooked up to a single pole, double throw switch. Flip the switch one way the the actuators move until limit switches...
15
15

Genie Garage door opener
Our Genie garage door opener failed to open the door all the way yesterday - it was unusually cold - I disconnected the arm from the door and the door moved up and down freely without any binding -...
1
1

Kitchen faucet leaks from base
Leaks more right after faucet is turned on, but a little all the time. I am not handy enough to remove faucet from underneath (to change gasket IF that is the problem). Right now, can't afford to call...
4
4

hot surface spiral ignitor
I have a York P2MPD14N08001C furnace. It seems that my hot surface spiral ignitor (025-30277-700 in the York manual) (CARBO 0206DC on the base metal attachment) (CARBO FC014 9428 on connector tab) is...
2
2

Kitchen Cabinet Hinges
So I made an interesting discovery tonight while working on the kitchen cabinets. Most of the doors do not stay shut when they are closed. The "snap" to lock them in place is gone. So, I took the two...
2
2

Pls advise on handling negligent plumber
About two weeks ago we had a roto-rooter guy out as I've had to about once a year to get rid of the tree roots that have grown into the drain under the house + driveway. Three days later, the shower...
4
4

condensing hot water heater...
I have a desire to learn more about "commercial" hot water heaters that have the heat evenly distributed within the water, as opposed to just heating the bottom like in a conventional hot water...

CFL's revisited
rather than completely threadjack the ongoing thread about "best" CFLs... I decided to take a systematic approach to attempting to find acceptable CFL lighting for each room in my house. I have...
12
12

Gremlins in heat ducts
Little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, built in 1954. New Heil 80% furnace and AC in 03-06. Standard forced air ductwork. For a long time now, I hear a heat-related noise. About 20-40 seconds...
9
9

gas fireplace electric starter
My gas fireplace is sometimes difficult to start. It appears that the automatic electric starter is arcing at the wrong place, perhaps affected by the humidity. Is it possible the starter wire has...
7
7

Mighty Mule FM500 blew up green circuit board by reversing battery
What generally blows up when a Mighty Mule gate opener battery is hooked up in reverse by accident? I blew up something on the green Mighty Mule FM500 GTO gate opener circuit board. Now I have a...
24
24

Nice little online fuel cost comparison calculator
>> This is sort of a useless chart. What you really want to know is something like: How does the cost of 1000 BTUs compare for coal vs wood pellets? The cost per ton and an efficiency number is...
17
17

Gas Heaters in Bedrooms
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty sure that an unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas fireplace logs, there have to be some style of heater than will be...
17
17

Major Score
My dad passed away in 1998. He loved power tools. Today I was going through the attic and found an almost new Craftsman 315.276040 3 HP Electronic Plunge Router. It was purchased new in 1992 for...
24
24

rigid foam board in Portland, Or
I need to buy some foam board (say 1"x4'x8') that is fire rated (flame spread 25) that I can attach to an interior crawlspace foundation wall and leave exposed. Where can I buy some in Portland Oregon...
3
3