My gas fireplace is sometimes difficult to start. It appears that the
automatic electric starter is arcing at the wrong place, perhaps affected by
the humidity. Is it possible the starter wire has insufficient insulation?
Is this a common problem? If so, what is the recommended repair? Can the
wire be wrapped with additional insulation, or should the starter wire be
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 08:19:42 -0800, Christopher Glaeser wrote:
From your description it sounds like the insulation is damaged and arcing
in the middle of the wire instead of the contact point. I would think you
will need a new wire as any insulation you would use would have to handle
In the few inches of space below this gas ceramic log fireplace where this
wire is located, there are paper tags, a plastic remote starter unit with
plastic coated household 120V wiring, and even an old plastic parts baggy
left from the installer, so it does not get very hot in this space
immediately below the fireplace.
Yes. The wire comes up through a round hole in a galvanized metal plate.
On nights when the unit repeatadly fails to ignite, the wire arcs to this
metal plate. Since the wire feeds through the center of this hole, it is
not possible to move the wire away from the metal plate.
Hmm. Sounds like the wire wore through. Not worked on one of
these, so I havn't got a mental picture. Sounds like time to
make the hole a bit larger, and smoother. And to find some
high temp insulation for the wire.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.