Subject Author Posted Replies

Utility drill: corded or cordless?
The battery on my Makita cordless drill is dying. I've been using my 40 year old Craftsman corded, which is still working, but it's not reversible. Both of them use a chuck key. I'm trying to decide...
26
26

Let me correct a misconception about hiring a contractor.
Too many people are watching too much HGTV and similar channels and getting the idea that a contractor is supposed to finish a job very fast. This is wrong. A contractor doesn=92t work by the hour...
12
12

"Old Wives Tales" NOT Working For Skunk Control!!
Hi All, Does anyone know of any EFFECTIVE way to keep skunks out of the yard. For about 3 weeks now, we have had a skunk coming out at night and destroying the yard. Also, they aren't destroying it...
31
31

Fire Ants coming into new house from under foundation - any solutions? (2024 Update)
We have a crazy problem with fire ants in our 6 month old house. It started out a month ago when we found the garbage in our master bath covered in fire ants. I sprayed Ortho Home Defense around the...
34
34

Ground rod question
I know hte NEC calls for 8' of ground rod for house wiring. This is a different application where I want to ground a piece of machinery for static discharge. It is not possible to get the rod into the...
23
23

Removing shower drain
I need to remove the shower drain to repair a cracked shower pan. The pan is plastic, an oddball size, and in a location where it can't be replaced without major demolition. I tried to unscrew the...
7
7

Wanted: Honeywell Q327A pilot burner assembly
Boiler information; Manufacturer: Burnham Boiler #: P-204-W Serial #: 17036211 Q327A AB 8241 is what I see stamped on the existing pilot burner assembly. However, the manual for the boiler lists it as...

CFM of an old fashion radiator
Hi, A radiator moves air by convection. So much so that I can see the window curtains above fluttering in the air flow. I'm curious, just how much air is moving? For a 36" high radiator, 10" deep old...
3
3

Kinetico filtes
I think I should change the filters in my Kinetico under the sink RO filter. These are 3+ years old, probably going on 7. It is a K2 model by the plate on it. It has three cylindrical filters, all...
3
3

Ceramithane Cabinet Finish
I see that are a number of ceramic finishes, the one I have (from Highland Hardware) is Ceramithane Clear Satin. I'm told the Satin and mat are some kind of colloidal, it's not surface. I didn't see...
1
1

Buying a new (well water bladder) pressure tank
I measured only 12psi of air in my bladder tank after it was fully emptied of water. Should be around 28. Need to buy a new pressure tank (32gal equivalent or bigger) and am looking for...
21
21

"Great Stuff" - Great mess
Has anyone ever figured out how to use that "Great Stuff" or other brand (foam in a can), without getting it all over everything? The stuff is obnoxious. I got it all over my hands, on my shirt,...
12
12

New OIL furnaces aren't much more efficient, true or false?
I was planning to buy a new furnace, for the greater efficiency I hear about, and for the Federal Energy Tax Credit, but a reputable furnace dealer I talked to, who has been in business for 80 years,...
5
5

How do you tell premix
Today, I had a gallon of gas that had been set aside. I had remembered that I had made up a gallon of JUST premix for the chainsaw. I was wondering if I had straight gas or premix. I looked at the...
5
5

How NOT to connect ground wire to rod
Upon visiting this particular panel, I came upon a sorry sight. can only assume that this was the originally intended configuration. can see an old ground clamp on the rod and partially burried in the...
10
10