How NOT to connect ground wire to rod

Upon visiting this particular panel, I came upon a sorry sight.

I can only assume that this was the originally intended configuration.
You can see an old ground clamp on the rod and partially burried in the dirt. It must have been put on before the rod was driven because the head was so mushroomed out that I had to cut it off before I could get a new clamp on. Apparently, they just never bothered to finish the job, and the wire wasn't bent or scored in such a way to suggest that it was ever properly attached to anything.

Poor.

Reply to
ShadowTek

My monitor size is irrelevant. This image is straight from my camera.

Get a better browser, or learn to use your current one.

Here's a few vocabulary words for you.

*Firefox* This browser will automatically resize large resolution images by default. Double-clicking on an image allows you to toggle between the full and resized images. *Google* This service allows you to search for information, such as how to configure Microsoft's default web browser to automatically resize large resolution images that are larger than your desktop resolution.
ShadowTek

Glad to see you caught this dangerous problem and corrected it. I wonder how the initial job got a pass from the electrical inspector.

Smitty, if you come to a post and find the picture is causing you great distress, please move on, we'll just have to do without your wisdom on that particular issue..........or you can figure out how to view the image on your computer. Came up perfectly on mine. I suspect that continuing to complain about the image, angle, light quality, weather etc are also possibilities for you.

Reply to
Shecki

I'm finding it difficult to believe that there ever was any inspection of this house.

ShadowTek

OMG. This is the sort of thing you'd expect to see on Holmes on Homes. Call him up - maybe you can get these guys on TV.

Reply to
schmidtd

lol After looking them up on Wikipedia, I'll have to check out their show.

Unfortunately, I'm quite a way from Canada.

Here's another head scratcher from the same house. See if you can spot the problem with the support strategy where these two floor beams meet at the center of the room.

ShadowTek

I didn't save the link, but every so often somebody posts on here the URL for a web site run by some house inspection trade group, that has dozens of horror pictures like that. I've seen plenty of (usually owner-installed) fubars like that over the years, including several in this house. While visiting my sister and BIL, I have walked him through stuff like that, showing how to fix stuff so it was somewhere close to code-compliant, and at least a lot safer than what the found condition was. He never could quite grasp why J-boxes needed to be accessible, and not buried in a wall. (And this is a well educated college professor in a science field.)

At least what you posted was a trivial fix, assuming there was any slack in the wires. (a pet peeve of mine is romex runs so tight you can strum them...)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers
+1; Looks fine from here, too, in IE8 and FF. Sounds to me like it's not the OP's problem but rather ...

Reply to
Twayne

Here's another one from today from the same house.

As I was replacing an outdoor wall light, I took a moment to admire the work of the licenced electrician who recently installed this light box.

ShadowTek

nice. i find those all the time in our quest to remodel rentals. It's amazing. it takes me about 15 minutes to correct, so it couldn't have taken more than about 30 seconds to do it right the first time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Fri 15 Oct 2010 09:21:41a, Smitty Two told us...

The picture size and detail came in perfectly fine when I viewed it. Obviously there is something "wrong" on your end.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright