1" flexible hose with threaded ends?

Page 2 of 4

Yes, it is installed on GF protected outlet.

Thanks for the concern, the "slide" only falls about 2-3 feet. It is not steep. I initially made it about 5" tall, but had to change to about 2-3 feet as my son was afraid of such height and quick entry into water. Whatever, it is for him anyway.

teenager. W W
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:20:45 -0600, Warren Weber <hiviewNO> wrote:

I hope so too. I took some pictures today.

I don't want to "nanny" you, but you do know that a 2-3 foot fall onto concrete is nothing to ignore, especially for a little one, right?
Btw, I'm sure many of us would like to see photos of your project. Did you make the ramp out of wood?
- Michael

Yes, but, I think, it is relatively safe. The ramp is sensibly (I think) made, I did not paint or varnish the wood.

Yes, the ramp is made from wood. I did take digital pictures today, very many, so I hope that some of them will be good. My USB card reader is misbehaving, but if I manage to load some pictures, I will post them on my website and will announce it.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

So how did you make it waterproof (and -- perhaps more importantly for hands, feet, and tender "bums" -- splinter-free)? Do you have a plastic overlay?

I sanded the wood with a power sander, that's all I did. It seems to be not very slippery even when wet, but we'll see. You raise a good issue.
Hey Iggy,
Great idea for the kids. Anyway, why not buy a "hose barb" with 1" NPT thread, the correct size of clamp and as many feet of that black PVC water pipe tube to fit the barb. They come in both galvanized and nylon(??) and available at most hardware, and all lawn sprinkler-system places at fairly reasonable prices.
Whudja make the "slide" out of?
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 5 Jun 2005 19:37:32 GMT, Ignoramus6998

Yes, I will visit some store and see if they have 1" stuff.

I just bought the slide at Home Depot. It is a plastic slide for playgrounds.

Ahh... that explains the slide part. I'd still want to put a coat of spar urethane on the wood parts to control splinters. Steps should also have some form of non-skid (but not the sand-paper kind that might skin knees). Hand rails should also be essential.
- Michael

I do have urethane, I was concerned that it would become slippery. I do not have a non-skid powder.

There is a total of 2 steps, and then the platform. :)
This whole thing is rather ridiculous from an adult's point of view, but very safe and the kid loves it. For example, almost immediately after entering the water, the kid bumps into the wall of the inflatable pool. My son likes it, because he is afraid of going into the water fast.

You don't need to buy non-skid powder. Ordinary beach or playground sand, sprinkled on the surface of the tacky final coat of urathane would work just as well.
But the problem with any rough, non-skid traction surface, whether it be sand or commerical non-skid granuals, is that it can abrade the skin if rubbed against.
Perhaps a better solution would be to buy some ribbed rubber sheet (like the kind used for hallway runners) and stretch it over the steps with the ribs running perpendicular to the direction of travel (along the long axis of the step). I think the black rubber style is softer and will provide more traction than the clear vinyl style. My local Orchard Supply Hardware sells both by the foot off of bulk rolls.

Still, handrails will provide something to hold on to when the feet are slippery. Plus they prevent falling off the side onto the cement. Plus they teach children good safety habits (holding onto rails while climbing steps). Finally, they will be absolutely necessary once your child is brave enough for you to raise the platform to four feet or higher.
Just my thoughts.
- Michael
Ignoramus6998 wrote:

Buy a section of old one inch forestry fire hose on Ebay they even come with one inch national pipe straight hose thread couplings. If you have to have non collapsible hose then you can buy one inch hose at industrial cleaning supply houses. Grainger sells it but the price is $147.50 for a fifty foot length.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.

Thanks. I will check out some nearby stores for vinyl hose, I have some good hopes.

As others have mentioned, Home Depot or Lowes should have the plastic barb and vinyl hose. I would imagine a swimming pool supply house would have something similar...

Increasing water throughput will actually cause the pump to work harder.
Shawn
I've seen that kind of thing in Northern Tools. It's called sump discharge hose. They make an assortment of sizes. Can also be irrigation hose.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Also almost any farm supply will have a multitude of assorted types for water, fuel, fertilizer/spray applications and a "veritable plethora" of fittings if you don't find what you're looking for elsewhere...
You don't want actual 1" hose with threaded ends. Buy a kit sold for installing sump pumps. It has the 1" hose and the barbed nipples and hose clamps. This is definately the way to go for any sump pump. I have three in different areas of my yard and all have this upgrade. On volume, I used a 1/4 HP sump pump with 30' of 1" hose to empty a 60,000 gallon swimming pool in 12 hours. That's with 18 feet of head (the pump is 18 feet below the output of the hose)!

Thanks to you and everyone else for good ideas.
I called Wayne pumps. The lady on the phone was very helpful.
She said that definitely I should switch to 1" hose instead of my 5/8" garden hose. It would make the pump pump much more water and it would work less hard.
She also said that as far as life expectancy goes, if I used it for a few hours every day, it would last a couple of years. I expect it to be used perhaps 30 minutes per day for a small part of the year, so it will, hopefully, last enough. Heck, even one year will make it worthwhile.
We are inviting several other children tomorrow to have some water fun.