Yellow Jackets

The northwest corner of our roof has a yellow jacket nest underneath a flaw in the shingles, which I plan to fix once I get rid of the bugs. These are the variety that like to buzz around garbage cans and such. I bought a trap and hung it right next to the nest. The phermone lure didn't interest them, neither did Pepsi. One thing that did work was the slime from the bottom of my garbage can. But there wasn't enough of that to last. I did find that dark corn syrup was somewhat attractive.

I've used two cans of insecticide on this nest, which put them back some, and I want to get rid of it so I can fix my roof before it gets cold. But the lil bastards are stubborn. What is irresistable to these buggers? I want to make the inside of the trap black with bugs.

Thanks

Reply to
M&K

Find some Diazinon liquid EC and saturate the area after dark. Mix it at grub strength and be careful where it runs off.

Buh-bye any insect.

Reply to
Steveo

I was able to use my shop vac to suck all the inhabitants from a fairly large nest. I have a long hose, so I was able to slowly and quietly keep sucking them up without alarming them. Worked great for me.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Reply to
Larry

I'll second the part about "after dark". Going after them during the day most of them aren't there.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

The main reason to do it after dark is to avoid being stung multiple times by a nest of very aggressive hornet's.

Disclaimer: the cure I suggested is not the most environmentally friendly choice, but it will work in one treatment and you won't get stung. ymmv

Reply to
Steveo

But now the shop vac makes a wierd buzzing sound everytime I turn it on.

Reply to
Crazyaboutgreys

Thanks to everyone on the spraying, but the nest is in a VERY inaccessible place. I am mainly trying to trap tham and am looking for something irresistable to put in the trap.

M&K

One problem with spraying is that if it doesn't kill them quickly it can actually drive them into the house if they find a way. You don't want to wake up at 3 am to find your bedroom full of yellow jackets. Eric

Reply to
Eric

I can't remember what brand of paint I was using but I was spraying the roof of a plastic Barbie house a few years ago (Barbie pinkish) it was cheap spray paint but the yellow jackets came from nowhere, they didn't act aggressively just fascinated by the smell. Look for something that needs a paint touchup, buy some cheap spray paint and give it a try ! Phil

Reply to
Phil

There was just in the news about a gentleman who died because he had an accidental encounter with a swarm of yellow-jackets.

Not a pretty thought....

later,

tom

************* Got a Site? ****************
Add your site to our Site for Free Search Engine With a View
Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

A few crushed nestmates usually seems to call them out in swarms.

I've had them show up when I'm using bleach outdoors.

Late in the year, sugary things seem to be the most attractive. They feed on fallen fruit and even chew up raspberries still on the canes. Watermelon and muskmelon get major picnic attention late in the year.

You can buy formulated baits (some may include pheremones)

(scroll down to item PIT762)

Pat Kiewicz

It's too inaccessible to spray once, but you can get to it enough to bait and empty your traps repeatedly?

Reply to
Steveo

Btw..hope they're not carpenter bees.

Steveo

Stop messing around and use the Diazinon. Good luck in finding it.. In pa. anyways the only stuff you can buy is what is left in the stores.

I bomb the inside of house first with flea spray. then I spray the outside with diazionon using a sprayer. Dont double the dose. follow the mix. Use common sense(sp) with diazionon. Dont spray in to wind. Cover up with long sleaves gloves. Dont overspray water ways ect. Leave the house for the night.

Reply to
op4_camper

If you can put some seven dust at the entrance of there hole. They will track it to the hive and kill everything or make them move.

Reply to
mow

Give apple juice a try - I've had good luck with it.

Reply to
Ginger

Get em' drunk with hard cider?

G> Give apple juice a try - I've had good luck with it.

Reply to
Steveo

It gives me bad diarrhea!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

While picnicing we put a small peice of red meat in a jar with a hole in the lid. The taller the jar the better it works. It seems that they can't remeber the way out. I was told that I should have put a liitle soapy water in it to drown when they got tired, but I just wanted them to leave my sandwich alone.

Reply to
fatowl